Re: [News] Ubuntu 9.10 Gets Even Faster at Boot Than Predecessors

  • Subject: Re: [News] Ubuntu 9.10 Gets Even Faster at Boot Than Predecessors
  • From: Tony Manco <trmanco@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 10:13:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Ubuntu 9.10 Off To A Great Performance Start
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Wow, while there may not be many end-user improvements in Ubuntu 9.10 yet and
> | the desktop looks just like that of Ubuntu 9.04, there does seem to be some
> | performance improvements. Besides the huge SQLite improvement that did not
> | come as a surprise, there are better compilation times with GCC 4.4, much
> | better disk performance with the newer Linux kernel, and other improvements
> | throughout. One area that still needs to be improved upon is with the Intel
> | Linux graphics performance after going through radical changes with kernel
> | mode-setting, DRI2, and the Graphics Execution Manager.
> `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_910_alpha1&num=1

Wow! The SQLite performance had a great boost... I'm impressed on what
different kernel versions can improve on little things like this.

--
It's a bird..

It's a plane..

No, it's KernelMan, faster than a speeding bullet, to your rescue.
Doing new kernel versions in under 5 seconds flat..
    ~Linus Torvalds