Re: [News] PC-BSD 7.1 Looks and Works Better Than Windows Vista?

Tony(UK) wrote:

> On Fri, 15 May 2009 16:33:13 +1000, Terry Porter wrote:
<snip>
>> PC-BSD and FreeBSD, plus all the BSD's are rock solid!
>>
>> The FreeBSD package manager and the NetBSD  package manager are both
>> outstanding.
>>
>> Pc-BSD is a total no brainer to install, Windows users love it, and
>> underneath it's just freeBSD anyway, and one can install any packages
>> they like via the FreeBSD package manager. The native Pc-BSD package
>> manager is just there for ex Windows users ;-)
>>
>> The BSDs are all very similar to Linux to use and admin, and it can be
>> hard at first glance to tell them apart.
>
> Hmm, this is very confusing, as the PBI one-click idea (a-la Linux Mint
> and others) is a good idea for newcomers to the system,

It certainly seems to be.
I had a son stay at my house a couple of years ago, for about 2 months. At
the time, another son was staying and he had the spare Linux box in his
room.

In a mad rush to put together a PC, the only OS I had around that would boot
on a odd HP machine, was PC-BSD.

I installed it, and couldn't believe how easy it was. The son who is a
Windows user used it for 2 months without any training from me.

I heard he had installed a MSN IM program of some sort and asked him is he
had any trouble, only to get the following reply "no dad, its just like
Windows to install programs"!

As a result of that strange comment I found out that PC-BSD has it's own
packager manager, quite separate from the the FreeBSD package manager, and
app install is just like Windows!

At the same time, it's FreeBSD underneath, and one can use either package
manager.

> but the choice of
> software in the PBIs is poor.

As I said it's just like Windows ;-)

> The current PC-BSD 7.1 running KDE 4.2
> desktop did seem like a good candidate and interested me. Unfortunately,
> it didn't work out this way, as it just wasn't reliable enough for it to
> be usable.

Perhaps it was a KDE 4.2 thing ?

> This hasn't put me off BSD - but it has put me off some of the
> BSD community who make absurd assumptions without any knowledge
> whatsoever of me or my 'hardware problems', which run Linux without any
> problem whatsoever :-)

I'm BSD friendly, but my BSD admin is poor as I use Linux 99.9999 % of the
time. The other 0.0001 is BSD.

> Instead of the insults and put-downs, maybe a member of the BSD community
> would like to comment on what went wrong as I just followed the GUI and
> PBI installs before the freezing and hard lock-ups began - a pretty
> vanilla and typical case, I reckon.

You'd probably need a BSD group for that Tony, here in COLA anything non
Windows is always attacked by the trolls, who are probably attacking
anything non Linux in the Windows groups, and anything non Windows/Linux in
the BSD groups.

> Tony(UK)

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008