[News] Everyone Should Have a GNU/Linux Handy

Dealing with a computer that shuts itself down

,----[ Quote ]
| One way to tell, is to boot the machine using a Linux live CD. I've written
| before that everyone should have a Linux live CD, this being one of the
| reasons.
|
| But, he didn't have a Linux CD, so I suggested booting to the BIOS setup
| screen and walking away. If the computer was still running after a while, the
| problem was with Windows. If it turned itself off again, then it was a
| hardware problem.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/dealing_with_a_computer_that_shuts_itself_down

Recent:

Knoppix 6.0: Perfect Distro (also for Netbooks)

,----[ Quote ]
| Knoppix has always been regarded as one of the most versatile Linux distros
| out there, but the latest version of the venerable Live CD Linux distribution
| has got yet another trick up its sleeve. Thanks to its excellent hardware
| detection, blazingly fast boot process, and the lightweight LXDE desktop
| environment, Knoppix 6.0 makes a perfect distro for netbooks. In fact, it
| supports all hardware on ASUS Eee PC 701 and 900 as well as Acer Aspire One
| right out of the box, including the wireless card. That's right, you don't
| have to fiddle with ndiswrapper or install a custom kernel in order to make
| your wireless card work. Knoppix 6.0 also detects the graphics card
| correctly, chooses the proper screen resolution, and enables Compiz Fusion 3D
| desktop effects. Even with 3D desktop effects enabled, the system feels very
| snappy.
|
| [...]
|
| All in all, even though the latest version of Knoppix isn't designed
| specifically for netbooks, its netbook hardware support is excellent and the
| system runs smoothly even on the original ASUS Eee PC 701. The distro comes
| with key applications which can help you to stay productive when you are out
| and about. So if you are looking for a replacement for the distro that comes
| with your netbook, or you want to try something different, Knoppix 6.0 is
| definitely worth a closer look.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/blogs/productivity_sauce_dmitri_s_open_source_blend_of_productive_computing/knoppix_6_0_perfect_distro_also_for_netbooks

Knoppix - Linux 6.0 review

,----[ Quote ]
| A very well thought through distro that's just the kind of OS you want at
| hand when problems arise. There's a lot more to than simple recovery tools,
| too, and it's a useful disc to have around when you just want to get some
| work done without fuss or hassle.
`----

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s719.htm

5 Minutes of Knoppix 6.0.1

http://benhay.blogspot.com/2009/03/5-minutes-of-knoppix-601.html

Knoppix: live CD par excellence

,----[ Quote ]
| Knoppix is another classic example of the innovation that can come about when
| good code is avaiable under user-friendly licences like the GPL.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23376/1148/

Knoppix 6.0 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Knoppix 6.0 has now been released with several new features and updates. The
| last update to Knoppix was in March of 2008 with version 5.3.1. Knoppix is a
| bootable CD distribution of Linux that incorperates automatic hardware
| detection. The CD can be used to demo Linux, as an educational CD, a rescue
| system, etc. It uses on-the-fly decompression so it can have up to 2 GB of
| data and software installed on it.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/122500

Knoppix 5.3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| At the recent CeBIT computer fair, Klaus Knopper finally released a new
| version of his popular Knoppix live-CD/DVD variety of GNU/Linux. The initial
| version was fine for the CeBIT crowd but had some problems, the most obvious
| of which was a mixture of languages in menus if you booted with the
| parameter "lang=" (by the way, it is now "lang=us" rather than "lang=en";
| this will take getting used to after many years of using "lang=en".)
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/150/howell.html

First Look: KNOPPIX 5.3.0 - At CeBIT 2008!

,----[ Quote ]
| Knoppix 5.3, after pausing for a year, was presented at CeBIT, in Hannover,
| Germany. Our colleagues were there, and got the DVD live-edition that's
| available with the German c't magazine during the event. The Open Source
| Audio-Desktop ADRIANE – which is a part of the live distro – was presented by
| Adriane and Klaus Knopper at CeBIT.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Look-KNOPPIX-5-3-0-80626.shtml

Related:

Who needs Windows Vista when you can have Knoppix 5.1.1 Live DVD?

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, in the first place there is no comparison between the two.
| In fact, there can't be any. Why? Simply because, Windows Vista
| is plain Operating system, with very little bundled apps. Whereas,
| Knoppix is complete Operating System bundled with hundreds of
| software that ranges from games to office!
|
| When you install Windows Vista (it requires whopping 6.7GB hard
| disk space at a bare minimum!), what you will get is - much hyped
| 3D aqua Desktop, a so-called secure operating system that bugs you
| to hell - by asking for every stupid task to Continue. In addition
| to that, It had about a dozen utilities such as paint, notepad,
| wordpad and a few games.
`----

http://raviratlami1.blogspot.com/2007/03/who-needs-windows-vista-when-you-can.html

Free Operating System For Blind: Adriane Knoppix

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=17094