[News] Corrupt Microsoft Deals Suspected in London and Switzerland

Not a Sustainable Position

,----[ Quote ]
| Somebody clearly doesn't understand open source:
|

|     Despite a mission to make the games as financially and environmentally
|     sustainable as possible, the organisers of London 2012 have ruled out any
|     significant use of open source software.
|

| Open source is the *only* sustainable option for software, because it can be
| re-used - one of the great advantages of free software. So given that open
| source should be the only option, why aren't the organisers using it?
|
| [...]
|
| What planet is this man living on? "Proven software...does not run on open
| standards"? What, like Apache, or Sendmail or BIND or JBoss or MySQL? Well,
| it's clear which Olympics event *he* would come first in: clueless CIO twit
| of the year.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/05/not-sustainable-position.html

Federal government grants 42 million franks contract to Microsoft — without
tender

,----[ Quote ]
| The Swiss federal government published in the Swiss Official Gazette of
| Commerce that it has granted a maintenance contract over CHF 42 million to
| Microsoft — however, without a prior tender. The monopolist apparently had
| been granted the contract under exclusion of any potential competition.
|
| The Federal Office of Construction and Logistics (BBL) apparently signed the
| maintenance contract over Windows and Office licenses, SharePoint et cetera
| in February already. A tender had never been held, so competitors had never
| been given a chance to demonstrate their own products. This, however, is
| clearly against the official regulations for acquisition of resources. A
| speaker of the Open Source corporation group /ch/open announced that the
| decision would be contested in front of the Federal Court which,
| incidentally, is a known user of the OpenOffice.org suite.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/tonnerre/?p=38

Recent:

Newly in Newham

,----[ Quote ]
| Striking, too, were the serried ranks of LCD screens in Richard's
| department – although the effect was rather spoiled by the fact that they
| were all running Windows, mostly XP. One interesting fact that emerged from
| our meeting was that future plans include skipping Windows Vista for most
| users, and moving straight to Windows 7 – just like most of the saner part of
| the Windows computing world.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2148&blogid=14

Related:

Newham and Microsoft prepare another MOU

,----[ Quote ]
| Steel had claimed the first MOU had been superseded when we put it to him
| that the original deal had failed to meet its key objectives. He insisted the
| objectives had been met. After we published evidence that the original MOU
| had not met its objectives, Steel tried to discredit your humble
| correspondent in his blog. He also shared confidential reports for
| publication in an apparently desperate attempt to find ways to show how the
| Microsoft deal could be justified.
|
| The reports were benchmarks produced by the Society of IT Managers, of which
| Steel is now president. The MOU had achieved all its objectives bar some
| spurious commitment to develop with Microsoft a methodology for measuring the
| performance of the Microsoft deal, said Steel. This done, "We had therefore
| agreed new actions with Microsoft in a progress review last year," Steel
| repeated in his blog. But the original agreement had stipulated that the
| Microsoft deal would propel Newham into the top performing quartile of UK
| councils and that this would be demonstrated in benchmarks drawn up by the
| UK's independent Audit Commission. Councillors opted Microsoft over Open
| Source on this promise in 2004. The deal has failed to meet this objective.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/25/newham-microsoft-prepare-mou

War of words breaks out over Microsoft MOU

,----[ Quote ]
| The salutary lesson to draw from our dealings, Richard, is not whether you
| can trust the press. It is rather a lesson in managing expectations, a
| process every CIO should know well.
|
| The expectations you invested in your 2004 deal with Microsoft, as enshrined
| in the memorandum of understanding, were also unrealistic.
|
| To recap, the original MOU said the use of Microsoft software would "improve
| Common Performance Assessment results and Star Ratings" measured by the Audit
| Commission.
|
| The analysis presented in the INQUIRER on Friday demonstrated that this
| expectation had not been met.
|
| When we asked you about this on Friday you told us there was a new MOU. Now
| you accuse us of twisting your words.
|
| How would you prefer to describe what happened to the original agreement? If
| it has not been scrapped, perhaps it has been decommissioned, recycled, sold
| on eBay?
|
| Having been told you had drawn up a second MOU with Microsoft, we were
| clearly interested to learn what new terms you had agreed in the public
| interest. You said it was confidential. But the first MOU was deemed fit for
| publication under FOI rules.
|
| You also said the first MOU was only ever a three year deal. But the document
| was accepted by a Council vote as part of a 10-year deal.
|
| Now four years since you signed the original agreement it is proper for us to
| ask how well the public money you are giving Microsoft is spent.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/23/scrapped-microsoft-mou

Newham has a cow over Microsoft MOU

| However, Newham has supplied the INQUIRER with internal studies that it says
| do demonstrate that its decision to commit to Microsoft was justified. The
| studies were performed by Socitm, a private public sector consulting firm of
| which Newham COI Steele is a vice president. the INQUIRER will report on
| these findings in due course.
|
| Meanwhile, the original MOU is enlightening. As well as claiming the deal
| would enable Newham to achieve high rankings in Audit Commission assessments,
| it committed Newham to moving all "competitive technology" to Microsoft,
| regardless of the feasibility of such a move.
|
| It also required Steele to promote Microsoft software.
|
| See attached file: Memorandum of Understanding.doc
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/21/microsoft-newham-council-goes

London council dumps Microsoft, may go open source instead

,----[ Quote ]
| NEWHAM LONDON Borough Council has scrapped the controversial 10-year
| Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) it signed with Microsoft in 2004 and drawn
| up a new agreement with a new set of deliverables.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/18/microsoft-flagship-flounders

Government faces crunch on Microsoft mega-deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Rumour has it that Microsoft hasn't been feeling appreciated in the public
| sector, thinking its customers don't know what a good deal they've been
| getting since the MOU was first negotiated in 2002. BECTA, the procurement
| quango for the education sector, has recommended schools don't upgrade to
| Microsoft Vista and Office 2007.
|
| [...]
|
| "There's a big anti-Microsoft lobby growing on the green agenda" he said,
| especially among local councils who were beginning to realise that PC's were
| power hungry and expensive to maintain. They were taking interest in
| think-client computers instead.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/15/uk-gov-faces-crunch-microsoft

Lawmaker blasts U.K. government on Microsoft policy

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.news.com/Lawmaker-blasts-U.K.-government-on-Microsoft-policy/2100-1012_3-6212721.html
http://tinyurl.com/2ashm2