[News] The Criminals From Redmond Sabotage ODF

"Don’t encourage new, cross-platform Java classes, especially don’t help get
great Win 32 implementations written/deployed. [...] Do encourage
fragmentation of the Java classlib space."

                                --Ben Slivka, Microsoft

Engage, embrace, extinguish

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we have OpenOffice.org 3.1 gets released. In the meantime, the
| proprietary product from Redmond claims to be able to wirte ODF format, but
| fails. Pity. Money corrupts, but MS Tax Dollars corrupts absolutely.
`----

http://harishpillay.livejournal.com/157565.html

Microsoft now attempt to fragment ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the first articles published about SP2 and for which I call the
| attention of everyone is from Rob Weir, chair of the OASIS ODF TC (group that
| develops the ODF, to which I belong). It is simply scary to see what Office
| 2007 does with existing ODF spreadsheets.
|
| The technical details are all on Rob’s blog, but in summary, when opening an
| ODF spreadsheet (.ods file) using Office 2007, it simply removes all existing
| formulas without telling anything to the user, leaving only the values in
| cells (results of formulas evaluation, previously stored in the document). If
| a user wants to test the ODF support in Office, and without giving due
| attention, save an existing spreadsheet, will overwrite the document removing
| all the formulas (as if you were writing a table). I saw absurdities in life,
| but nothing compared to this.
`----

http://homembit.com/2009/05/microsoft-now-attempt-to-fragment-odf.html

The Wintel press hastily described this as an IBM vs MS battle, once again
recasting ODF as "IBM"a and this greedy and hostile. Jason Brooks will publish
an analysis of MSO07 SP2 ODF (MSO07SP2ODF) pretty soon.

OpenDocument Format: The Standard for Office Documents

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/05/opendocument-format-standard-for-office.html

A Few Facts As Antidote Against Microsoft's anti-ODF FUD Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| The best antidote against FUD is facts. FUD only works when people don't know
| any better. So, given some recent anti-ODF FUD in the air, I thought it would
| be useful to provide some facts.
|
| First, I'd like to show you who voted Yes to approve OpenDocument v1.1 as an
| OASIS Standard in January of 2007. ODF v1.2 is already being adopted by some
| now, of course, as development has continued, but Microsoft chose to stick
| with v1.1, so let's do the same. I think you'll find the list dispositive as
| to who is sincere in this picture. Next time you read some criticism of ODF,
| then, you can just take a look at the list and ask yourself what it tells
| you. And if you are a technical person, here's ODF v1.1, so you can compare
| any claims of deficiencies. Here's Groklaw's chronicle of the OOXML/ODF saga,
| where you can find many resources, including a chronology of events from 2005
| to the present.

In a saner world, Microsoft employees would be arrested for the crimes they
committed for OOXML. It is well documented.

Recent:

Whatever Happened to OOXML?

,----[ Quote ]
| This means that Microsoft cannot simply ignore ODF, because it runs the risk
| of cutting itself off from a significant and growing proportion of the public
| sector market. This also explains why it is adding ODF support with the new
| Service Pack, as described above.
|
| All-in-all, I think things have gone much better in the office sector than I
| or many others feared when OOXML gained its "approval" from ISO. OOXML has
| not caught on, and there is every chance that ODF will become a widely-used
| national and international standard.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2149&blogid=14

Preliminary thoughts on the implementation of ODF in Microsoft Office.

,----[ Quote ]
| The negative side, if we read Doug’s blog is that there are some inherent
| limitations to the implementation that seem to make Microsoft Office a clear
| inferior ODF capable office suite than others. At that time I found it hard
| to believe and believe that this would be more damageable to ODF than to
| Microsoft Office. I also pointed out it was the first time Microsoft had
| taken a sorry tone to speak about one of its products. I will however refrain
| to make any particular comment at this stage: Clearly, this moment is
| historical, and it is a happy one. Critics, if they prove to exist and be
| valid, will be voiced later.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2009/04/30/preliminary-thoughts-on-the-implementation-of-odf-in-microsoft-office/
http://tinyurl.com/dxqyvw

Introducing Planet ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| I have an early Document Freedom Day present for you. Planet ODF is a feed
| aggregator based on Sam Ruby's Planet Venus, which itself is a refactoring of
| Planet 2.0.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/03/introducing-planet-odf.html

ODF Alliance Award Winners Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format (ODF) Alliance today recognized Vitorio Furusho from
| Parana, Brazil and Anvar Sadath from Kerala, India for their contributions to
| ODF community development and education.
`----

http://www.odfalliance.org/blog/index.php/site/odf_alliance_awards/

Fort Worth legislator pushes for open format in state documents

,----[ Quote ]
| In recent years, a host of free programs using an open-source format called
| OpenDocument have emerged that allow users to create and edit office
| documents. Popular ones include OpenOffice.org and Google Docs, both of which
| can open files in most Microsoft Office formats.
`----

http://www.star-telegram.com/metro_news/story/1266591.html

Open Source, Open Standards and Re-Use: UK Government Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK Government has made it clear that Open Source and Open Standards, with
| a focus on re-use of software development and deployment, is to clearly and
| unequivocably be part of the decision-making for UK Government I.T.
| procurement and contracting. Also part of the policy is a clear committment
| to engage with the Free Software community and to actively encourage the
| development of "Government-Class" Free Software products.
`----

http://www.advogato.org/article/1002.html

The 21st ODF Toolkit Scenario

,----[ Quote ]