[News] List of Free Software Resources and Guidance for Free Software Training

Over 35 Free, Essential Open Source Resources and Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Every so often, we here at OStatic like to round up our ongoing collections
| of open source resources, tutorials, reviews and project tours. These
| educational tools are a central part of the learning mission we try to
| preserve at the site. We regularly round up the best Firefox extensions, free
| online books on open source topics, free tools for developers, resources for
| working with and enjoying online video and audio, Linux tutorials, and much
| more. In this post, you'll find more than 35 collections and resources.
| Hopefully, you'll find something to learn from here, and the good news is
| that everything found in this collection is free.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/over-35-free-essential-open-source-resources-and-apps

How to be a free software business trainer

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software and Open Source Foundation for Africa and the Germany-based
| InWent project have launched a programme to develop trainers in East and
| Southern Africa capable of teaching others to build free software-based
| businesses.
|
| The project aims to both create businesses opportunities for trainers wanting
| to expand their businesses to include free software training as well as
| teaching the skills required to run successful FOSS businesses.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=4733

Recent:

Open source, Facebook smuggled into work by Generation Y

,----[ Quote ]
| The next generation of workers - the so-called 'Millennials' - demand to be
| allowed to use consumer tech, social networking and open source software at
| work, a survey by Accenture has found.
|
| [...]
|
| Those aged 18 to 22 favour technology not supported by their employer, with
| 39 per cent using their own mobile phones, 28 per cent using social
| networking sites, 27 per cent instant messaging and 19 per cent installing
| open source software.
|
| They also regularly download non-standard technology from free public
| websites such as open source communities, "mashup" and "widget" providers,
| with three-quarters of 18 to 27-year-olds accessing online collaborative
| tools and online applications from free public websites when those
| technologies were not available at work or not meeting their expectations.
`----

http://management.silicon.com/itdirector/0,39024673,39338400,00.htm?r=1

Open Source Smackdown - live or die in the new economy, it all has an OSS angle
now.

,----[ Quote ]
| Last thoughts on OSS looking forward: In reality, OSS has been enabled by the
| commoditization of extremely complex technology. Cutting edge technology and
| the development of cutting edge technology is accessible to practically
| anyone. So how do you create your company's value in that market if you're
| making heavy use of OSS technology, vs. simply becoming a packager or
| integrator of OSS? Second, how does the disruption caused by an OSS
| marketplace require adaptation from a business that grew up with totally
| closed, protected IP? The small and large companies identified above each
| have interesting answers to those questions.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/open_source_smackdown

Red Hat: Crisis to boost open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The global economic crisis would provide a boost for open source software,
| Red Hat chief executive Jim Whitehurst claimed during a visit to Sydney this
| week.
|
| Whitehurst, who stopped over down under as part of a tour of the Asia-Pacific
| region, said in an interview with ZDNet Asia's sister site ZDNet Australia
| that the crisis would cause companies to consolidate their technology
| infrastructure and reduce spending.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62047208,00.htm

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| It is flattering to be mentioned, Mr. Whitehurst said, but he noted that
| corporate customers and the industry benefit from what he called Red
| Hat’s “Switzerland status” — not being a province of one of the major powers
| in the technology industry.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/no-recession-at-red-hat/

Microsoft sees slide in profits