[News] IBM Builds Servers with GNU/Linux

IBM Builds Out Express Advantage Line

,----[ Quote ]
| Topping the list of the new products are the BladeCenter JS23 and JS43
| Express servers, which are based on the Power6 processor technology and run
| on AIX, IBM i and Linux operating systems. IBM said the servers are ideal for
| midsize organizations undergoing infrastructure consolidation or
| running applications that require scalable performance and high memory
| capacity.
`----

http://www.crn.com/hardware/217300186;jsessionid=WJV0IDDDVRXZWQSNDLPCKHSCJUNN2JVN

Recent:

Big Blue defies server crash with Q1 profit

,----[ Quote ]
| The aggregate amount of computing power for mainframes that IBM shipped in
| the quarter actually rose by 18 per cent, Loughridge said, with MIPS
| shipments of so-called specialty engines that run Linux, WebSphere, or DB2
| accelerators up 20 per cent and Linux-related MIPS up more than 50 per cent.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/20/ibm_q12009_numbers/

Analyst: More Layoffs Coming To Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| McAdams Wright Ragen Analyst Sid Parakh expects more layoffs by Microsoft
| (NSDQ: MSFT), on top of the 5,000 job cuts announced earlier this year. “Over
| the last week, we have heard from multiple sources that Microsoft may engage
| in additional restructuring activities in the near-to-mid term,” he wrote in
| a report today.
`----

http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/419-analyst-more-layoffs-coming-to-microsoft/

Microsoft expected to post sharp drop in profit

,----[ Quote ]
| Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft's  quarterly results are generally expected to
| have been undercut by growing demand for cheaper computers with relatively
| low-cost software.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Microsoft-expected-post-sharp-drop/story.aspx?guid={4338C01E-2C8E-4B26-A6A5-7FF2C3A8D439}

Microsoft shares dip after analyst cuts forecast

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft shares stumbled Friday after a Thomas Weisel analyst cast some
| doubt on Wall Street's earnings and sales forecast for the company's fiscal
| third quarter.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D97KDHPG0.htm

Microsoft Expected To Post Sharp Drop In 3Q Profit Thu

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090417-714101.html