[News] Amid Layoffs and Earnings Drop of 32%, Microsoft Attacks with Software Patents and FUD

  • Subject: [News] Amid Layoffs and Earnings Drop of 32%, Microsoft Attacks with Software Patents and FUD
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 22:56:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Top 10 Linux FUD Patterns, Part 9

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft vs. Linux
|
| Microsoft has claimed that Linux violates approximately 235 patents. The
| company has reportedly “chosen” to not sue, and the rationale for this choice
| has been the topic of much speculation. Microsoft has not revealed the
| details of the violations, including the identifying numbers of the violated
| patents.
|
| Lack of merit in the claim is probably the reason most people believe
| Microsoft has not filed – in other words, Microsoft is bluffing. Perhaps
| Microsoft knows that the patents are not enforcible for one reason or
| another, but it also knows fully that it retains power derived from fear so
| long as it can make threats that sound credible. If the claim does lack
| merit, that power would diminish rapidly once a case is brought against the
| first defendant. Either the patents would be found to be unenforcible (e.g.
| prior art would be proven), or legal action against one defendant would
| prompt the Linux community as a whole to adapt quickly. Details of the suit
| would provide the vital information required to ensure that Linux complies
| with all patents going forward.
|
| Many Linux supporters and advocates disapproved when Novell and XandrOS
| succumbed to this fear when they signed their now famous “peace treaties”
| with Microsoft.
`----

http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/top-10-linux-fud-patterns-part-9/

Re-spinning famous quotes: Linux and Cancer.

,----[ Quote ]
| The strange thing is, replace just one word in the quote and it makes perfect
| sense to me:
|
| Mono is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
| everything it touches.
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009/05/04/re-spinning-famous-quotes-linux-and-cancer/

Recent:

Tomboy, Gnote, and the limits of forks

,----[ Quote ]
| Some people have complained about its faults for a while; Hubert Figuiere,
| instead, chose to do something about it in the form of the Gnote utility.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/331187/

Gnote vs Tomboy and complete Mono removal

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://trmanco.com/2009/05/01/gnote-vs-tomboy-and-complete-mono-removal.trm