[News] New Washington Times Columns on the Rise of GNU/Linux

KELLNER: Linux alternatives to Windows, Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| Shannon VanWagner, a computer systems administrator in Seattle, got the ball
| rolling because he believes the open-source Linux operating system is our
| computing salvation. It's free for individuals, more or less; enterprises
| will want to license a given Linux distribution, or version, in order to get
| technical support. Because it is open, Linux can be enhanced and refined by
| any number of programmers, who, in turn, share their work with others.
|
| And there are plenty of applications for Linux, some of which I mentioned
| last week, such as OpenOffice.org's productivity suite. There's GIMP, or the
| GNU Image Manipulation Program, which is a free competitor to Adobe's
| Photoshop. If you need Web browsing and e-mail, Mozilla.org offer versions of
| the Firefox browser and Thunderbird e-mail client; other browsers and e-mail
| programs abound.
|
| Indeed, Mr. VanWagner, whose Humans Enabled blog (www.humans-enabled.com) is
| high-octane evangelism for Linux, has links that'll help you find dozens of
| alternatives to Windows and/or Mac applications, just about all of them free
| for the downloading.
`----

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/04/kellner-linux-alternatives-to-windows-mac/

KELLNER: Competitors soften Microsoft's roar

,----[ Quote ]
| The netbook phenomenon is interesting: The tiny portable computers, with
| screens as small as 8 inches, run either a low-cost version of Microsoft's
| Windows XP operating system (lower in licensing price than any of the Windows
| Vista configurations) or some flavor of the open-source Linux operating
| system, which is either free or much, much cheaper than even Windows XP.
| Either way, a lower-cost or no-cost operating system on a netbook siphons
| money from Microsoft's revenue stream.
`----

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/27/kellner-competitors-soften-microsofts-roar/

Recent:

KELLNER: Netbook or notebook: Valuable portability

,----[ Quote ]
| On the Linux side, and especially for the smaller computer users in your
| world, the OLPC, or One Laptop Per Child, XO model - which runs on
| electricity and a hand-cranked battery - is a great choice at just under $400
| at Amazon.com. No, it's not the world's most sophisticated computer, but the
| only way you or I can buy one is to pay enough to let the OLPC folks give one
| to a child in the developing world. That alone makes it worthwhile.
`----

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/dec/01/netbook-or-notebook-valuable-portability/

Washington Times releases open source projects

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opensource.washingtontimes.com/blog/post/coordt/2009/02/washington-times-releases-open-source-projects/