[News] Dabbling with Music Editors, Dock Bars, and Word Processors for GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Dabbling with Music Editors, Dock Bars, and Word Processors for GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 20:01:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A new player in Linux music production

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently discovered a fairly new project that has an interesting take on
| Linux music production: the Open Octave Project. The goal of Open Octave is
| to provide an environment for audio and MIDI production specifically for
| orchestral music and film scoring. What is different about this project -
| compared to other Linux audio / MIDI solutions - is that the developers don't
| build a new application from scratch. Instead, the team chose to combine and
| adapt existing projects into an unified framework. This actually works two
| ways: in using existing applications, the team doesn't have to reinvent the
| wheel and can use existing quality tools, and by contributing their efforts
| back to the original projects, these benefit as well. So what's in store with
| the Open Octave Project? Let's delve a little deeper...
`----

http://www.linuxmusicproduction.com/new_player_in_linux_music_production

3 Dockbar like applications for Linux / Mac OS X / Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| In the past, the dock bar has been just an appearance enhancer in operating
| systems. People have been led to believe that the dock is for those who are
| more conscious about appearance rather than performance and because of this,
| they quickly lost interest in it once they got used to it.
`----

http://osrevolution.com/os-misc/3-dockbar-applications-linux-mac-os-x-windows

If You Pay for a Linux Word Processor, Is It Really Worth the Price?

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, industry heavy-hitters Sun Microsystems, Novell, and IBM Lotus
| keep building on their Linux heritages with new releases of distinctive
| commercial word processors. So, too, does, ThinkFree, an innovative
| California-based start-up that's just added ThinkFree Mobile Netbook to its
| growing line-up of crossplatform suites. Haansoft, a South Korean distributor
| of Linux OS and word processing software, just so happens to hold a majority
| interest in ThinkFree.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/31586-if-you-pay-for-a-linux-word-processor-is-it-really-worth-the-price

Recent: