[News] Motorola Enlists Developers for Linux Phones

Motorola enlists help developing apps for new wave of mobile phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola Inc. is calling on mobile phone application developers as it readies
| the release of several new phones later this year.
|
| The company's turnaround strategy for its mobile phone division rests on
| Android, a platform created by Google. Schaumburg-based Motorola plans to
| have several Android-powered phones on shelves for the holiday season.
`----

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-sat-motorola-apps-0725-jul25,0,5100518.story

Recent:

Motorola Pledges Cheaper Android Phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Android smart phones. Cheap Android phones. Android phones on the
| Nextel/Boost iDen network. Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha said many of next year's
| Motorola phones will run the Google Android OS in a call with analysts today,
| continuing a big bet on the Linux-based system.

Motorola pushes ahead with Android phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Jha praised Android, noting that 3,000 applications have already been
| developed for it. Motorola will focus on integrating messaging and social
| networking with the Android devices, he said, and will offer a range of
| devices in the high- and mid-tier price ranges. "We are probably investing as
| much as anybody on the Android platform," he added.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article/301565/motorola_pushes_ahead_android_phones?rid=-50

Motorola smartphone gets widgety

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola does not advertise which operating system (OS) the Evoke QA4 runs,
| but several hands-on reports from last week's CTIA Wireless show say the
| phone runs Linux, most likely an updated version of Motorola's Linux/Java
| MotoMAGX stack. In fact, the Evoke QA4 appears to be the second Motorola
| phone after the Moto VE66 (pictured below, right) announced in November, to
| support Motorola's MotoDev Studio for WebUI "widget" platform for MotoMAGX.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2028218108.html?kc=rss

Ming phone gains larger screen

,----[ Quote ]
| Photos and preliminary specifications for an "A1210" Linux phone that appears
| to be an updated version of the popular Motorola Ming have appeared on
| Chinese technology sites. The GSM/EDGE-ready A1210 (pictured) offers a larger
| 2.8-inch screen, and an improved 3.1 megapixel camera, industry reports say.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2098659904.html?kc=rss

Motorola ZN300 images leak: 3MP cubist cameraphone

,----[ Quote ]
| Press shots of the Motorola ZN300 have leaked, showing the Linux-based slider
| in all its squared-off glory.  According to the limited specs we have now,
| the ZN300 - which also goes by the name MotoZine ZN300 - has a 3-megapixel
| camera, QVGA display and a standard 3.5mm headphone jack.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/motorola-zn300-images-leak-3mp-cubist-cameraphone-2035199/

Motorola disses Windows Mobile: Android "more competitive"

,----[ Quote ]
| Handset maker Motorola has revealed plans to scale back its commitment to
| Windows Mobile as it continues to increase its investment in Google's open
| source Android mobile platform.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/02/motorola-says-android-more-competitive-than-windows-mobile.ars

Motorola: Becoming a 'Peripheral Player'

,----[ Quote ]
| To do that, Motorola will draw on its experience tinkering with the same
| Linux-Java software used in Android to make what it hopes are compelling
| tools and other applications. Social-networking apps, for example, are one
| area of focus for the Android phones. Jha says in an interview that Motorola
| engineers are working closely with Google to develop appealing apps.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2009/tc2009023_994085.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_news+%2B+analysis

Motorola ditching Windows Mobile?

,----[ Quote ]
| Rumour has it that Motorola is ditching the Windows Mobile platform for its
| smartphone handsets in favour of Google's new Linux-based Android.
|
| As reported over on BetaNews, the company has announced to the State of
| Florida that it is to shut down its Windows Mobile development centre in
| Plantation, Florida â with 77 jobs for the chop as a result, added on to the
| 4,000 jobs the company has already 'restructured' this month.
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2009/01/28/motorola-ditching-windows-mobile/1

Mot taps Linux for rugged mobile phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola is readying a rugged, weather-resistant 3G HSDPA clamshell phone for
| ATT Mobility. Targeting outdoor enthusiasts, contractors, and (cruel but
| true) "teenagers," the Motorola Tundra VA76r runs Linux, and offers aGPS,
| Bluetooth, a 2-megapixel camera, and Push to Talk (PTT), says Motorola.

Linux music phone boasts stereo mini-jack

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola formally announced its MotoRokr EM35, a slider version of the EM30
| music phone that runs MontaVista Linux. The phone offers Bluetooth, USB, a
| 3-megapixel camera, and a haptic scroll interface, as well as music playback
| that is said to include virtual surround effects.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9940255320.html?kc=rss

Motorola Joins Google Android Craze

,----[ Quote ]