[News] Standards Thrive in the Web

Openness unlocking Web's power

,----[ Quote ]
| What these standards have in common is that they are patent-free. You do not
| need to pay a royalty to develop with them and, crucially, they do not
| reflect or favor the commercial interests of a single vendor or organization.
|
| A standard such as HTML 5 is developed with input from all the browser
| manufacturers, mobile handset vendors, authoring tool creators and hundreds
| of Web developers worldwide.
|
| Such open standards take longer to develop than single-vendor proprietary
| formats, and are likely to be a mess of compromises to please everybody--and
| that is the beauty of them. No single company or technology can own the Web.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/internet/0,39044877,62056559,00.htm

Even Microsoft was forced to accept HTML5. Silver Lie failed.

Recent:

Microsoft Removes Projectile-vomiting IE8 Ad From Web

,----[ Quote ]
| An online ad for Internet Explorer 8 that showed a woman projectile vomiting
| has left such a bad taste in viewers' mouths that Microsoft has decided to
| remove it.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/167795/microsoft_removes_projectilevomiting_ie8_ad_from_web.html

IE8's "Get the Facts Marketing Gets It Wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| But this comparison table treats me like a moron, especially when you
| consider that I'm using Firefox and have pre-existing views on many items on
| the comparison table. Only IE8 gets a check for security, privacy, and ease
| of use? Really? At a minimum, Microsoft should have used Harvey Balls to show
| that the competitors have capabilities, which may not be as strong as IE8.
| Microsoft could have posted videos that show how easy it is to carry out a
| common task in IE8 and compare it to Firefox with the relevant add-on
| installed.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/167137/ie8s_get_the_facts_marketing_gets_it_wrong.html

Microsoft IE8 Hype Is Beyond Belief

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet Explorer 8 is a very good browser, especially when compared to IE7
| and (ugh) IE6. However, it still lags behind most of the other browsers in
| both performance and standards compliance. That doesn't seem to bother
| Microsoft, which has been pushing IE8 using hype that they rarely use even
| for Windows or Office.
|
| [...]
|
| There is no way that Microsoft can claim anything close to parity with
| standards compliance of the other major browsers. For example, IE8 retains a
| non-standard event model that does not get anywhere close to the W3C standard
| published in 2000. Just a few examples: Form elements don't bubble events.
| There is a global event object instead of an event argument passed to the
| handler. Rather than document.addEventListener, IE uses the non-standard
| document.attachEvent method.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/06/microsoft_ie8_h.html;jsessionid=QU4MDQ0GLWPRGQSNDLOSKHSCJUNN2JVN

Thinking about upgrading to IE8? Think twice

,----[ Quote ]
| For example: One day last month Cringester D. L. discovered when he logged
| onto the Net, he couldn't get to his e-mail or view Web pages. He then
| enjoyed several quality hours on the phone with Dell tech support, which
| determined the cause: His daughter had clicked a button and updated the
| browser to IE8 without telling him. The support tech logged onto his computer
| remotely and downgraded it to IE7. Problems solved.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/thinking-about-upgrading-ie8-think-twice-326

Collateral Damage & The Browser Wars

,----[ Quote ]
| After I downloaded IE8 two weeks ago, my Sony audio programs got hung up and
| wouldn't load. When I went to the Microsoft and Sony sites and found no help,
| I decided I didn't need nuanced improvements to my web surfing, and did a
| system restore. Oops. Then IEx wouldn't run at all. Somehow, the update had
| destabilized somethingoranother. I was out of luck.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/06/on_the_collater.html

Windows 7 lets you remove Internet Explorer 8

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-ie8-remove.html

Remove the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant (ClickOnce) Firefox Extension

EU to oblige Microsoft to offer competitorsâ browsers

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.euractiv.com/en/infosociety/eu-oblige-microsoft-offer-competitors-browsers/article-179602