[News] New Font From Ubuntu GNU/Linux

First look: new Ubuntu font boosts Linux typography

,----[ Quote ]
| When Canonical unveiled Ubuntu's branding
| overhaul and new desktop theme earlier
| this year, the company also revealed that
| it had commissioned well-known type
| foundry Dalton Maag to design a new font
| specifically for Ubuntu. The font will
| likely be used by default in Ubuntu 10.10,
| which is scheduled for release in October.
|
| Today Canonical launched a closed beta for
| the new font, making it available to
| testers and Ubuntu contributors. I tested
| it on my desktop computer, running Ubuntu
| 10.04.| After installing the package, I enabled it
| in the GNOME appearance preference dialog.
| It matches the new Ubuntu logo font, but
| it's designed for optimal screen
| readability. It looks very smooth on my
| LCD monitors and is very easy on the eyes.
| I think it's a big improvement over
| Bitstream Vera Sans, the font that
| currently ships by default in Ubuntu.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/07/first-look-new-ubuntu-font-boosts-linux-typography.ars

The Ubuntu Font

http://design.canonical.com/2010/07/the-ubuntu-font/

New Ubuntu Fonts â No You Cannot Use Them Yet!

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical Design has introduced new Ubuntu
| fonts which will be used in the next
| release, Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat.
| The new fonts will not be available to
| everyone, though, as it has been released
| as a private beta. Only Ubuntu Members are
| allowed access to the new font through a
| private PPA. The fonts will be released as
| a public beta on 8th August. So if you are
| not an Ubuntu Member, you have to wait
| till then.
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/new-ubuntu-fonts-no-you-cannot-use-them-yet.html

Dear Canonical

,----[ Quote ]
| This âclosed fonts betaâ thing was a big
| PR mistake.
|
| Itâs not enough for you to push a
| proprietary font into Ubuntu in the
| default install. No, you canât even
| release it publicly. You just had to
| release it as a closed-doors, âmembers-
| onlyâ beta.
`----

http://lucidfox.org/posts/view/592

Ubuntu font: what the glyph!

,----[ Quote ]
| Having read some of the comments and bugs
| I thought it might be useful to add some
| clarification on a couple of terms.
`----

http://design.canonical.com/2010/07/ubuntu-font-what-the-glyph/

Finding Free Fonts for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| You should be able to find the Liberation
| fonts on most distributions, though they
| may not be installed by default. Search
| for Liberation in your favorite package
| tool, and you should find a package with
| all three or separate packages for each.
| On Ubuntu 10.04, for instance, you'll have
| the ttf-liberation package. Actually, if
| you do a search for ttf, you'll see a
| number of fonts you can grab from the
| Ubuntu archives.
|
| But the open font movement, if can be
| called such, has progressed beyond Red
| Hat's triple header of Freedom. Check out
| the Free Font Manifesto, for example. It
| links to a number of fonts that have
| licenses that allow redistribution and
| modification, as well as a manifesto about
| free fonts. Check out the blog as well if
| the free font issue is important to you.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/7110/1/

Recent:

Ubuntu and Fonts

,----[ Quote ]
| In this short tutorial i discuss some handy fonts related tips that could
| improve user's desktop experience . The tips include installing Microsoft
| True type fonts enabling one to render documents and web pages created in
| Microsoft Windows properly in Ubuntu Linux, Installing a set of cool looking
| fonts released by RedHat - Liberation fonts package , making fonts look good
| on your LCD Display by turning on subpixel smoothing , installing some cool
| and free fonts on your Ubuntu Desktop and finally how to install any font if
| you have it's ttf file .
`----

http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2008/03/ubuntu-and-fonts.html

Related:

Liberation Fonts

,----[ Quote ]
| The first release is a set of fully usable fonts, but they will
| lack the fully hinting capability (hinting adjusts font pixelization
| so that the fonts render with high quality at large and small sizes)
| provided by TrueType/FreeType technology. That release is now ready.
| The second release will provide full hinting of the fonts, and that
| release will be available by the end of the calendar year.
`----

http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/05/09/liberation-fonts/

Checking out the new Open Font Library

,----[ Quote ]
| Up until the last few years, typefaces were a neglected aspect in
| FOSS. However, the increased popularity of the GNU/Linux desktop and
| the emergence of software for designers is changing that. "The whole
| vectorization of the desktop with Inkscape is really doing a
| beautification of the desktop," Phillips says. In such an atmosphere,
| the OFL looks like an idea whose time has come.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/22/169230&tid=13

Visual comparison of major OS's font rendering

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Linux's myth of bad font rendering is finally over.
`----

http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/2007/01/08/visual-comparison-of-major-oss-font-rendering/

Microsoft's forgotten [fonts] monopoly

http://news.com.com/Microsofts+forgotten+monopoly/2010-1032_3-6085417.html

3 Examples of Bad Microsoft Word Typography

,----[ Quote ]
| From the makers of Arial, here are three examples of bad typography in
| Microsoft Word. Bad typesetting in Word finds its way into rÃsumÃs, business
| plans, research papers, government documents, even published books. These
| small inconsistencies and imperfections may be un-noticible in small doses,
| but paragraph-after-paragraph they stack upâresulting in ugly,
| visually-incohesive documents. Word isnât for professional typography work,
| but thatâs no excuse for these typography sins.
`----

http://robgoodlatte.com/2007/07/24/3-examples-of-bad-microsoft-word-typography/

Open source fonts

,----[ Quote ]
| If youâve ever gone looking for legitimately free fonts, youâve probably
| found that there are a lot of really bad ones. But thereâs also a lot of
| discussion out there about âopen source fonts.â
|
| Some who post about open source fonts are really just talking about
| free-as-in-beer typefaces. Some, however, have embraced the open source
| philosophy as applied to typography.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/12/13/open-source-fonts/

Liberation Fonts Installation Script