Re: Penguin Pete Debunks "Ease of Use" in GNU/Linux Myths

____/ Snit on Saturday 02 Jul 2011 01:18 : \____

> Homer stated in post u212e8-efv.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx on 7/1/11 4:16 PM:

>>> ____/ Homer on Friday 01 Jul 2011 21:58 : \____
>>
>>> He is hostile toward people who /preach/
>>
>> You mean like he preaches atheism?
>
> If I pushed the "fact" of Zeus onto you and, if you have any, your kids,
> would you not "preach" that their claims were silly?  How about if they
> preached that MS software was the only software ever worth using?  Would you
> not "preach" that they were wrong.
>
> Of course you would.
>
>> So frankly the only difference is an opinion, where one side has
>> apparently decided to "debate" their opinion militantly.
>>
>> Sound familiar?
>
> What?  We are not talking *opinion* here, any more than we are talking just
> opinion to teach that MS software is the only valuable software.  To your
> kids.
>
> And you would freak out.  Yet you whine when others do so... over, frankly,
> bigger issues.
>
>>> to the gullible
>>
>> You presume to know they're all gullible.
>
> They are kids.
>
>> OTOH, those who /are/ actually gullible are just as susceptible to
>> propaganda from /either/ side of a debate. So again the only difference
>> is an opinion as to precisely /which/ side's propaganda is the "right"
>> one.
>
> The idea that people do not learn from the ideas they are exposed to
> (propaganda, in some cases) is just silly.  Esp. kids.  But next time you
> try to claim people are not affected by the info the see and hear, ask
> yourself why companies spend so much on ads.
>
> I mean, really, this is not hard to figure out.
>
>>> about it (about Santa, Tooth Fairy, or whatever other fiction).
>>
>> It's symbolism representative of one's beliefs, a source of joy for
>> people the world over, and the focal point for teaching ethical values,
>> regardless of its historical validity. And dismissing it as fictitious
>> is presumptuous, unless you claim to have unequivocal proof to the
>> contrary.
>
> The debate is not about teaching it as fictitious... it is not as though
> people are pushing to have a focus on the lack of "reality" of Zeus or the
> Christian God or whatever... the debate is if such myths should be taught as
> science.  And they should not.
>
>> Even characters like Santa Claus (Sinterklaas) has origins in
>> historical fact (Saint Nicholas of Myra), and more importantly this
>> "fiction" teaches children the value of giving ... something I'd have
>> thought you'd find praiseworthy. There's nothing even remotely insidious
>> about any of it.
>
> What does that have to do with the idea of being against the idea of
> teaching myth as science?
>
>> Would you snatch a toy away from a child on Christmas day, lecture him
>> about Santa being nothing but creationist propaganda, accuse his parents
>> of being liars, then call social services and the police to have them
>> arrested and the child placed in care?

> [...]

AFAIK, he was an anarcho-primitivist who no longer was in academia (for years). He was
painting stuff (physical labour) for meager profit in his later years. Calling him a
teacher is simply inaccurate.

- --