Re: Penguin Pete Debunks "Ease of Use" in GNU/Linux Myths

____/ Snit on Saturday 02 Jul 2011 01:44 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz stated in post 2303810.OArtZ34EBd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 7/1/11
> 5:30 PM:

>>> Homer stated in post u212e8-efv.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx on 7/1/11 4:16 PM:

>>> If I pushed the "fact" of Zeus onto you and, if you have any, your kids,
>>> would you not "preach" that their claims were silly?  How about if they
>>> preached that MS software was the only software ever worth using?  Would you
>>> not "preach" that they were wrong.
>>>
>>> Of course you would.

>>> What?  We are not talking *opinion* here, any more than we are talking just
>>> opinion to teach that MS software is the only valuable software.  To your
>>> kids.
>>>
>>> And you would freak out.  Yet you whine when others do so... over, frankly,
>>> bigger issues.

>>> They are kids.

>>> The idea that people do not learn from the ideas they are exposed to
>>> (propaganda, in some cases) is just silly.  Esp. kids.  But next time you
>>> try to claim people are not affected by the info the see and hear, ask
>>> yourself why companies spend so much on ads.
>>>
>>> I mean, really, this is not hard to figure out.

>>> The debate is not about teaching it as fictitious... it is not as though
>>> people are pushing to have a focus on the lack of "reality" of Zeus or the
>>> Christian God or whatever... the debate is if such myths should be taught as
>>> science.  And they should not.

>>> What does that have to do with the idea of being against the idea of
>>> teaching myth as science?

>>> So why would your straw man do that?

>>> Not wanting people to push their myths onto my kids has nothing to do with
>>> my attacking anyone... I am not.

>>> Who cares?
>>>
>> AFAIK, he was an anarcho-primitivist who no longer was in academia (for
>> years). He was painting stuff (physical labour) for meager profit in his
>> later years. Calling him a teacher is simply inaccurate.
>
> From what I recall - without doing any searches - you are correct, or at
> least mostly so.  But let us say he was a teacher.  So what?  His actions do
> not mean that all teachers are doing wrong or are like him.  Homer was
> pushing a logical fallacy.

Serial killers are often smart people, but people get the correlation all reversed.
Every killer is a potential serial killer, but only the smarter ones manage
not to get caught and proceed to similar acts. So those who say it takes
brains to be driven to insanity (mass-murder) don't take into account
the correct causality. The police is very adamant on catching killers *because*
of the possibility of recurrence (nothing to lose after the first crime).

> Then again, his whole argument is pretty faulty: it is not like there are
> any but the most rare people who fit his caricature.  For the most part, the
> people "against" the religious folks are not against anything other than
> myths being taught to their children as science.  Gee, how horrible!  Those
> who are pushing such teachings are clearly and unambiguously in the wrong,
> and to work against their agenda of teaching myth in the science room is
> *not* a sign of pushing any views on anyone else.
>
> If you do not want your kids to learn science, don't remove science from the
> classroom, remove your kid from the classroom.  It is not like evolution is
> like sex ed where there might be objections to teaching details at
> inappropriate ages.

Sex education is embarrassing to young people because we teach them to be
embarrassed by it. It's not a natural deterrence.

- --