Re: Microsoft's Former CTO is Attacking the US Industry With Software Patents

____/ High Plains Thumper on Saturday 23 Jul 2011 22:35 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper on Saturday:
>>
>>> [quote]
>>> Did you want to settle? Never, never. [...] my attorney said it was
>>> going to cost our side a quarter million dollars to fight them, and
>>> since you're paying their side, too, figure at least half a million.
>>> It's not worth it. You pay the fine and get on with your business.
>>> [/quote]
>>>
>>> Read more: http://news.cnet.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html#ixzz1Sv45SzhT
>>
>> He does not like being known for his fight against Microsoft rather than
>> his music skills.
>
> Oh, I wouldn't say that:
>
> http://www.ernieball.com/history
>
> [quote]
> 2000
>
> In 2000, the Business Software Alliance conducted a raid and subsequent
> audit at the San Luis Obispo, Calif.-based factory that turned up a few
> dozen unlicensed copies of programs. Ball settled for $65,000, plus
> $35,000 in legal fees. But by then, the BSA, a trade group that helps
> enforce copyrights and licensing provisions for major business software
> makers, had put the company on the evening news and featured it in
> regional ads warning other businesses to monitor their software licenses.
> Sterling Ball told his IT department he wanted Microsoft products out of
> his business within six months. The transition was a breeze, and since
> then he's been happy to extol the virtues of open-source software to
> anyone who asks. View the Full Story at
> http://news.cnet.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html?tag=lh
> [/quote]

Based on an interview a friend of mine did with Ball (I can
get you the URL and maybe the ogg file if you wish), he does not like
it when searching his name brings up negativity. He said he wants to be
recognised as a musician and not rebel against BSA/Microsoft.

- --