Samsung and LG Not Paying Microsoft for Linux

  • Subject: Samsung and LG Not Paying Microsoft for Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 01:26:47 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

I would like to issue a small correction. While LG and Samsung are, according
to Microsoft, paying Microsoft for Linux, after 1.5 hours speaking to OIN's CEO
on the phone it turns out that Microsoft just grossly exaggerated this
for FUD purposes. The patent deals from 2007 were just for FAT patents. I wonder
how many more of those "Linux" deals (e.g. Brother) are just phony
extortions over some unwanted and arcane file system.

In any case, Samsung and LG are not the sellouts Microsoft would have us
believe they are.

Good night.