Re: 65 Inch Android/Linux Tablet in Perspective

____/ Homer on Sunday 20 Nov 2011 17:11 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

>> Ahhhh, that little deal might explain why Samsung "knuckled under" to
>> patent troll Microsoft.
>
> If so then it's entirely unwarranted, as Microsoft did not invent
> surface computing:
>
> [quote]
> Surface computing is the term for the use of a specialized computer GUI
> in which traditional GUI elements are replaced by intuitive, everyday
> objects. Instead of a keyboard and mouse, the user interacts directly
> with a touch-sensitive screen. It has been said that this more closely
> replicates the familiar hands-on experience of everyday object
> manipulation.
>
> Early work in this area was done at the University of Toronto, Alias
> Research, and MIT. Surface work has included customized solutions from
> vendors such as GestureTek, Applied Minds for Northrop Grumman,.  Major
> computer vendor platforms are in various stages of release: the iTable
> by PQLabs, Linux MPX, the Ideum MT-50, and Microsoft Surface.
> [/quote]
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_computing
>
> It didn't even invent multi-touch:
>
> [quote]
> Multi-touch technology began in 1982, when the University of Toronto's
> Input Research Group developed the first human-input multi-touch system.
> [/quote]
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch#History
>
> In fact, like Apple, Microsoft has never invented anything, ever, and
> therefore doesn't deserve even a single brass cent in "royalties" for
> any of its plagiarised and assimilated technology.
>
>> The usual cynical trolling ensues in the comment section. :-$
>
> Actually just one, probably from one of Microsoft's "guerilla
> marketers". The rest are all disagreeing with him, pointing out that the
> "object tags" he's whining about are actually part of the HTML5
> standard.

Apple and Microsoft are not in the business of invention, they are in the
business of marketing and branding, not even mass production (this they
just delegate to companies like Foxconn). The marketing is further
assisted by back room deals (bribes), litigation, and other forms
of extortion.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes
Dr. Roy S. Schestowitz, Research Fellow