Upgrading Mozilla

  • Subject: Upgrading Mozilla
  • From: JPB <jpb@email.pt>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:12:26 +0930
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
G'day,

Not a pressing issue by any means; this is more of a curiosity thing that than anything else:

I'm running SuSE 9.1 Pro with no issues whatsoever. Great OS. I've got the original Mozilla 1.6 installed that came with the CDs - works fine.

I thought I'd check out the newer versions of Mozilla, so I did an apt-get upgrade of version 1.7 (this is the usr-local-bin build). No go - everything upgrades fine, no dependency problems, but Mozilla won't start. When I use the CLI, there is no output, no error messages - it'll just go back to the "jpb@amd:~>" prompt.

I then uninstalled the u-l-b version and instead tried the one that comes with the 9.2Pro version, off the SuSE ftp site. Same result. I've also had a go at the "experimental" 1.8a rpms from the SuSE server; both the gtk2 and normal version. Same result. Tried to uninstall the installed version first and just do a rpm -ivh so as to get a clean install; no joy.

So, while this is really not something that hugely bothers me, it'd still be good to know what is causing the problem. And why is there no error message to point out what it is Mozilla does not like on either of my two machines I tried this on? After all, Firefox has upgraded without any hassles.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

John

(BTW - I've tried to install 9.2Pro on one of my machines off CDs my neighbour has kindly lent me, and had no luck. Installation would freeze terminally and repeatedly - i.e. power switch "off"-type freeze - at the moment it went to format the drive. This is a machine that had run 9.1 for some 6 months without a hitch. Interesting, as the same CDs installed on his computer without problems. As I really can't see that much of a difference between 9.1 and 9.2, I guess I'll just stay with my 9.1.

No doubt you all wanted to know this! :-))