Re: HTML guide for newbies.

Neal
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 03:07:22 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Roy Schestowitz opined.
> >
> >> Although this source was criticised by alt.html before, I choose to
> >> recommend it again:
> >>
> >> http://werbach.com/barebones/
> >
> > Oh my.
> >
> > <quote>
> > The Bare Bones Guide to HTML lists every official HTML tag in common
> > usage,
> > </quote>
> >
> > Element. It is HTML Element. Not tag.
>
> So <h1> is not a tag?

<h1> is a tag. It is the opening tag for the h1 element. The h1 element also
has some content and a closing tag.

The middle bit is very important. The content is not some content on the
"page" with <h1> and </h1>tags wrapped around it. It is the content of the
h1 element.

Further the h1 element is part of the content of (probably) the body element
which is part of the content of the html element which *is* for all intents
and purposes the page. The "page" has no plain text content. It only has
other elements as content.

When talking about the "contents" of an HTML page we talk about the elements
that make up that page, not the tags, which are a part of the elements.

An HTML tutorial should be talking about elements and how they interact. It
should not have as its major emphasis, and in its opening paragraph, a
discussion of tags. That bit comes when we discuss what an element is.

This confusion (coupled with the misconception that tags are actually
"commands") leads to things like:

This is of course wrong but it "does" mean something if you think about
tags, or "commands" It does not make any sense at all if you think about
elements.

--
Cheers
Richard.