Re: Cholesterol in Cottage Cheese?

  • Subject: Re: Cholesterol in Cottage Cheese?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 04:24:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.support.diet
Ignoramus6304 wrote:

> On 31 Jul 2005 12:27:58 -0700, Her Subj. <hersubjectivity@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> I consume about a pound of cottage cheese a week --that works out to
>> able half a cup a day for the workday (I don't eat it on weekends). I
>> usually buy Trader Joe's brand of organic fat free cottage cheese,
>> since it tends to taste "milkier" than others I've tried. Today I just
>> noticed the cholesterol content in this version of cottage cheese
>> five milligrams is rather negligible, but keep in mind that I do eat
>> quite a bit of cottage cheese throughout the year.
>
> I am not one of those people who are afraid of and fear cholesterol,
> but 5 mg is indeed such a negligible amount that it is not even worth
> thinking about. National guildelines suggest to eat under 300 mg of
> cholesterol per day.

Moreover, with typical poor diets that include French fries, these puny
quantities should not be accounted for. If one wants to cut down
cholesterol altogether, giving up cheese is probably not something that
needs will power. I moved from cheese to mayonnaise some years back.

>> I don't eat any red meat and only very rarely do I eat pork. I do enjoy
>> seafood of all kinds (my favourite things in the world are scallops,
>> shrimp, and lobster, not to mention fish!) and enjoy the occasional
>> chicken. I know cholesterol is found mostly in animal-based products
>> and I try to stay away whenever I can.
>
> There is quite a bit of cholesterol in shrimp and lobster. 3 oz of
> shtimp contain 166 mg of cholesterol. That would be an equivalent of
> 33 portions of cottage cheese.
>
> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s037y.html

I assume that most people eat shrimp at a small dosages and on rare
occasions. Making the exception and eating luxurious seafoods doesn't
compare to an unhealthy daily/regular diet.

>> I probably don't get enough protein for my resistance and cardio
>> regimen, but I try to keep a conscious effort to take in as much as
>> possible. I usually get my protein via soy-based proteins, beans, and
>> cottage cheese. What are other sources (other than whey powder, etc.)
>> for protein besides meat and cheese?

I eat a good deal of tuna, which is _relatively_ low in terms of saturated
fat and malignant cholesterol. Tuna is very rich in protein too. I have
been on this dietary regimen for several years and my most recent blood
test showed the benefits.

> peanuts are one example that you could try.
>
> You may visit one of those popular heart attack risk calculators. You
> may find out that your heart attack risk is negligible because you are
> young and very slim. (IIRC)
>
> Human bodies produce several times more cholesterol than we'd normally
> eat in food. There is no good proof that eating cholesterol actually
> increases risk of heart disease. Heart attack victims who were put on
> a low fat diet, did not reduce their mortality and died of second
> heart attacks just as often. (I can provide references).
>
> Even if you wanted to stay under the guideline of 300 mg of
> cholesterol per day, you could eat large quantities of that cottage
> cheese with 5 mg of cholesterol per serving. You are worried about
> issues of little relevance to your health.

The coronary veins will clog up, as far as I know, if your bloodstream
contains, over the period of many years, too much cholesterol that the
liver (IIRC) cannot process. The younger and healthier you are, the more
productive the liver will be, or so I assume...

Roy

PS - i, You're here as well?!?! Longevity is sure important to those among
us who sit in front of the monitor all day...

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com