Re: wifi security

  • Subject: Re: wifi security
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 07:39:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Jason wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 12:08:14 -0700, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
> wrote:
>

>>   WEP is like an open-door today = don't even bother using it! It can
>>be cracked so fast, it's almost pointless
>>(http://wepcrack.sourceforge.net/
>>http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article118.php).  WPA is tougher,
>>but can be done if you have a short password
>>(http://wifinetnews.com/archives/004428.html).  You'll really need to go
>>with WPA2 + AES, etc.
>>
>>http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=369221&rl=1
>
> Yes, WEP can be cracked by a determined hacker.  For the majority of
> computer users however, I still think it is beyond them to do so, even
> with the articles above and current tools in regards to knowledge and
> time.
>
> Since the majority of home networks have no security installed at all,
> WEP is definitely better than nothing and will keep out most people
> except for the closet hackers in the neighbourhood.

In a typical household, personal data is probably more susceptible to
attacks due to operating system flaws. Hijacking does not only open the
door to sniffing of data, but also erasure and other unpleasant things.

Unless your WiFi traffic involves something sensitive which does not
incorporate SSL (e.g. on-line bank traffic) or SSH/SCP, then worrying is
probably paranoia.

Just my humble opinion...