Re: Very disappointed and shocked by the new Yanoff

  • Subject: Re: Very disappointed and shocked by the new Yanoff
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 03:20:53 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, comp.sys.palmtops
Laurent Bugnion wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the new Yanoff yesterday and tried it on my LifeDrive. I am
> very disappointed by it, and even shocked by one of the "features". I'll
> do my best to keep this post emotion-free, but it's not easy. I feel the
> need to report about this, to avoid the same bad emotions to other people.

Before I start, I must clarify that I have no hands-on experience with
Yanoff, but I have kept track of the project for quite some time. The
following brought me up-to-date:

http://code.gnu-designs.com/yanoff_review/

> First of all, let me say that I'll talk here about the "new" Yanoff, and
> not the free, GPL version. Second, I loaded the so-called Yanoff-, as
> opposed to the costly Yanoff+ with more features.

> About the cost, 24USD (that's twenty-four, it's not a typo) is
> ambitious, to say the least. I mean, even iSilo (one of the best readers
> available IMHO) costs less! For just 5 bucks more, you can get DocsToGo
> standard edition, and I think we all agree that DocsToGo does much more
> than Yanoff will ever do. In my opinion, Yanoff+ should cost between 10
> and 12 USD maximum.

I know of many applications that cost around $24. You unfairly used
inexpensive applications as examples.

> About the functionalities, let's start by saying that Yanoff- simply
> doesn't work on my LifeDrive. Yes, I could load messages from a
> newsgroup, but I am unable to read them entirely, because I cannot
> scroll down! I never saw before a program where simply scrolling down
> was impossible (it seems like a pretty basic feature). So to start with
> (and YMMV of course), the application can't be used.

The application was not tested under the LifeDrive. I corresponded with the
developer before the LifeDrive was even out in the shops. In his defence,
it isn't guaranteed to work on the LD. If it did, great, but if not, I am
sure you would have gotten a refund.

> Another thing which bums me is that there is no way to load messages
> over hotsync. The old Java conduit hasn't been updated, and anyway JSync
> doesn't work with the newer generation of Palm desktop. Loading messages
> over hotsync is very handy in my office, where I cannot connect my LD to
> the network directly. I load my Versamail this way, and it would be nice
> being able to load newsgroups too.

I think it is again a case of keeping up with the changes over at
PalmSource. Sure it would be nice if more dynamic maintenance was in place,
but nothing was promised.

> Finally, the "minus" version of Yanoff is infested with reminder of how
> much better the "plus" version is. Some of these annoying reminders are
> even presented under the form of a pop-up. Some buttons have their text
> replaced by something like "Register" "to get" "this feature" and the
> likes. I mean, it's funny (not) the first time you see it, but after a
> moment, it gets really annoying and makes you want to throw your PDA
> through the window.

If you use a free version, I don't think you have the right to complain
about this particular aspect. One of the reasons why I left Windows was all
of the shareware applications that involved nags. With Linux I get GPL'd
application that /serve/ me rather than asking me for money.

> Finally, and this is why I will avoid using this software in the future,
> the author uses it for christian proselytism. The default signature for
> the sent messages bears a citation of the bible! I simply couldn't
> believe it (small pause to release the bad emotions here... deep
> breath...). It means that if you don't change the default signature (and
> this is not very straightforward), every time you send a message, you'll
> also send a citation of the bible *in your own name*!!
>
> I am not a christian, I left the reformed church exactly because of this
> kind of disrespectful amd disgraceful attitude. I follow my own path
> now, and I am shocked by someone trying to impose his own views on
> others. Moreover, acting this way lets others knowing me believe that I
> got back to the christian religion, without me being aware of it. This
> is a shame.

I don't think any harm or offence was originally intended, but religion is a
sensitive issue. I think assigning these default signatures was a poor
decision. On-line mail accounts like Yahoo and MSN take a similar approach,
but they use advertising and not controversial words that involve politics
and religion.

> I sincerely regret this. It sounded like a good idea to continue Yanoff
> GPL's development, seeing how it was for a long time the only newsreader
> available (and still now one of the only ones usable). When the author
> contacted me quite some time ago to ask me if I would support his new
> development, I was quite enthusiastic about it, and was even ready to
> pay something to help him. Then I lost interest because surfing over
> GPRS is not the most comfortable experience. Having a LD now, I thought
> I would enjoy using Yanoff. Well, now I am really glad that I tried it
> before paying.

That's what trial versions are for.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com