Re: Some nice 10.0 info

_____/ On Tuesday 23 August 2005 11:36, [houghi] wrote : \_____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Now things can become much faster.
>>> http://www.opensuse.org/index.php/SUPER_standard_benchmark
>>> Openoffice started in 4 instead of 15 seconds. Firefox in 1 instead of
>>> 8. As booting is a bit slower, but when the system will 'feel' faster.
>>

>> They must have run it on quite a powerful machine,
>
> Have you looked at the link I provided?
> This benchmarks are done on an IBM T42p with 1GByte of RAM and Pentium M
> 1600.

You are right. I haven't, but I usually do look. In this particular case,
you picked the important bits from the item rather than just posting the
URL.

>> but still *smile*. With
>> many Firefox extensions, I doubt it would be _that_ quick.
>
> Thde other will not be as quik as well.
>
>> They are not
>> pre-linked either, I presume.
>
> Have you looked at the link I provided? (below this)
> Prelinking
>     * Install libelf from your standard SUSE 10.0 CD's
>     * Download and install prelink.rpm
>
>>> More on this on http://www.opensuse.org/index.php/10.0_beta2_i686_SUPER

I'll have a look. These speed gains would make a compelling argument for me
when swaying people towards SuSE.

>> I didn't mean to bring up just the negatives. I am probably as excited as
>> everybody else about that.
>
> Apparently so exited you were unable to klick on the links. ;-)

True, but this was the exception. Don't make too much fun of me *smile*...

> That means you will not look at http://opensuse.org/index.php/SUPER

...tempting...

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
http://Schestowitz.com