Re: Cleaning up the database

__/ On Saturday 27 August 2005 02:27, [Roy Lewallen] wrote : \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ On Friday 26 August 2005 10:13, [Roy Lewallen] wrote : \__
>>

>>>I'm trying to delete several files left over from a trial version of PDA
>>>Defense which I uninstalled. But FileZ won't delete them - it says
>>>"Error:dm:Database protected in item::remove()d".
>>>
>>>Is there a utility I can get which will delete these and similar files?
>>>
>>>My PDA is a Zire 31.
>>>
>>>Roy Lewallen
>>

>> To be a little radical, if it's a PDB file that's giving you a hard time:
>>
>> - Synchronise the Palm
>>
>> - Go to your profile directory (of Palm Desktop), e.g.
>> ~/<Palm_directory>/lewallr
>>
>> - Erase the PDB file that's giving you a hard time, e.g.
>> ~/<Palm_directory>/lewallr/apps or similar in most platforms
>>
>> - Hard-reset your Palm with data loss
>>
>> - Synchronise
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>
> Thanks for the info. The leftover files aren't bothering me enough for
> that radical a cure. But it's a good thing to put in my bag of tricks
> for the day it really is important to delete a file.

It's not a trick from a book. It was a hack, which you should not consider
as knowledge that is required from a Palm use.

> I think my next PDA will be a PPC, because at least I have a basic
> understanding of the operating system.

I will avoid a thread that's a PPC vs. Palm discussion. However, I will have
you aware that the neighbour's garden always looks greener... until you
take a closer look.

> An OS that requires this kind of
> surgery just to delete a file isn't to my liking at all -- I like to
> have a little more control over my devices than that.

My advice was very unusual. Somebody else in this group could point out a
free application that would quickly get rid of that file. In fact, I can
recall such a thing being mentioned recently, maybe not in this particular
newsgroup.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
http://Schestowitz.com