Re: Recommend a CMS? or MessageBoard system?

  • Subject: Re: Recommend a CMS? or MessageBoard system?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:45:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ On Saturday 27 August 2005 19:41, [nAnd0] wrote : \__

> Ideally I would like to find a message board system that is open source
> and
> will run on php/mysql.  Something that is very simple and that I can
> easily
> drop into a table on an existing hard coded website.  The majority of the
> top bb systems ive found are complete site bb systems, but I dont want to
> loose the framework of my existing site.
>
> Or maybe Ill go the route of a full CMS system that has message board
> modules, but that will also require designing a site in a CMS environment.
> Personaly I find that it is too easy to recognize a CMS site which is what
> I dont want.
>
> Any recommendations?

One of the characteristics of a CMS is that it contains an almost hard-coded
footer or has a very familiar, almost self-imposed structure and modules.
it is easy to spot phpBB, Nuke, Mambo and WordPress, for example. If you
look for something simpler, obscure and light-weight, have a look at
bbPress, a little old port of the Wordpress.org support forums (where you
can get a sense for how it gets integrated with a larger and independent
site):

http://bbpress.org/

Hope it helps,