Re: Ultra cheap Dell opportunity missed...

  • Subject: Re: Ultra cheap Dell opportunity missed...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:29:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
__/ [Bonge Boo!] on Monday 29 August 2005 09:13 \__

> http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article308523.ece

When I first read the subject line I thought you were referring to Michael
Dell's request to Steve Jobs. Dell considered incorporating Mac OS X into
Dell boxes. He also put $100m of his own cash in Red Hat Linux, which might
be an indication of future change or simply a greater diversity.

On Friday I bought a brand new Linux box for just GBP 170 including tax and
delivery, excluding monitor, including decent hardware and O/S with Open
Office and the rest of the OSS goodies pre-installed. I did, however,
consider the iBook too.

Returning to the topic of the article you pointed out,

<snip>
Dell is facing a Hoover-style fiasco after its UK website appeared to allow
hundreds of customers to buy desktop computers for as little as £3.64.
</snip>

I thought that when a payment is confirmed, even if a mistake is made or the
wrong label was put on the product, the customer can insist on full
delivery for the stated (as obscene as it may be) cost. I can recall a
story about someone who got fired for ordering 100,000,000 units of
something instead of 10,000,000. I think it was on Slashdot.

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Double your drive space - delete Windows"
http://Schestowitz.com