Re: Nokia and Open Source

__/ [Jim Richardson] on Monday 12 December 2005 18:38 \__

> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:41:10 +0000,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> __/ [Andres  Baravalle] on Monday 12 December 2005 12:10 \__
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I have seen (many times) reference in the press to Nokia's open source
>>> projects. The web site http://opensource.nokia.com/ lists some
>>> projects, but I could not find any code released.
>>>
>>> Does anyone knows if they are just developing on the top of open source
>>> projects, or if they are actually releasing open source software?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>    Andres
>>
>> I wondered the same thing myself. The Nokia 770 has adopted Debian to
>> create a mobile operating system that is quite nifty. However, to what
>> extent will it be available for others to use? Will it require a licence
>> to be purchased from Nokia? And if so, how legal/ethical is that? I don't
>> know the answer, but this sounds like Google to me.
>>

> <http://www.maemo.org>

http://www.maemo.org/screenshots.html

Thanks for the head-up. It looks really slick! It's time to sit and wait for
some necessary and yet basic programs to emerge. Slashdot pointed out a
review yesterday:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nokia770.ars/