Re: xhtml - accesskey for select not allowed?

__/ [Jukka K. Korpela] on Sunday 11 December 2005 11:11 \__

> Udo Marx wrote:
>
>> Greets to ciwah!
>>
>> I'm doing a little webproject for a local session event.
>> Tryin' to meet latest standards
>
> Why? They don't work on the WWW. XHTML works on IE only if you fake it
> as classic HTML.
>
>> i failed to do this:
>> --snip--
>>   <select name="fromcountry" accesskey="l" title="[Alt]+[l]">
>>    <option value="dummy">dummy</option>
>>   </select>
>> --snap--
>
> Wrong approach. Country selection should _not_ be made with a dropdown,
> unless you have just a handful of countries. Use a text input field, and
>   accept both country names and standard abbreviations.

I must say that I disagree. Most folk are unaware of standard abbreviations.
Moreover, too much freedom as in an open string leaves room for ambiguity,
frustration and requires programming that provides a level of tolerance. The
whole thing can be hard to maintain. Even if you list all countries in the
world, the size of the form would not become far larger, maybe just 5 KB
(uncompressed).

>> W3C validator says: there is no attribute 'accesskey'
>
> Because there is no such attribute defined for <select> in the DTD you use.
>
> In practice, forget accesskeys. Most accessibility experts regard them
> as useless or harmful. Besides, title="[Alt]+[l]" would be both useless
> (you would see the "hint" only when you don't need it any more) and
> misleading (you cannot possibly know how accesskeys are used in the
> user's environment - there might be no Alt key to begin with).

I have seen cases where different accesskeys get assigned on different
platforms. This is a real PITA to maintain and test.

>> the url:
>> http://www.netzteil.com/session/test.html
>> I included the w3c-links for test.
>> Plz help me out, TIA.

Roy S. Schestowitz
  6:55am  up 1 day 14:03,  18 users,  load average: 1.14, 0.74, 0.59