Re: Tungsten C out of stock

  • Subject: Re: Tungsten C out of stock
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:52:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Arthur Hagen wrote:

> AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote:
>> Michael Haase <michael.haase@alcatel.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there is a new TC version under work?
>>
>> With Palm classic style PDA sales down a whopping 30% in just one
>> year, I'll bet they cut way back in new models in favor of the better
>> selling phones.
>
> That's looking at it the wrong way.  The market of people who don't have
> a PDA is /much/ bigger than the market of people who don't have a cell
> phone.

...Yet many people with a cellphone will be willing to 'upgrade' their
cellphone and get a PDA at the same time. Two birds, one stone. Having said
that, I might as well mention that a standalone PDA might appeal to less
people because it means carrying two devices. Also, a person with a
cellphone would probably like to keep having a cellular phone of one type
or another.

> Perhaps if Palm went back to making high quality professional PDAs like
> they did when they *did* sell a ton of them, instead of the cheap
> plastic bug-ridden toys they make now, the PDA sales wouldn't drop 30%.

I perfectly agree with that. They still outsell any other vendor, but the
trend is worrying.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com