Re: firefox, MP3, & wim media player

...D. wrote:

> I run a small 11 KB MP3 file of arnold saying "hasta la vista baby" on the
> logout page (php page) of an online game I run (Blacknova traders).  I am
> just wondering why when in firefox, it  will not play it (I have Windows
> Media Player selected to play MP3s, WAVs , and MIDI files).

Stop right there...

> Is this microsoft purposely doing this or what is it?

This is M¥¢ro$o£t's attempt to invoke their own self-made COM objects. This
is deprecated. It is a characteristic of Web sites from the late 90's.

> It is a simple HTML code used: <bgsound src="hasta.mp3" />
>
> Of course I know in several cases Firefox and netscape have special needs
> in coding for scripts. Like a javascript slideshow I use on a page.  So is
> there a  special little way firefox needs inline sound coded perhaps?

Firefox or not Firefox, there are other factors to consider like the
operating system. Don't forget that embedded videos might be playable under
Windows, but not under Linux, for example. Some users like me will spit at
the ground, steer away from your page and never return to it again if they
see this practice. It is an obedience to M¥¢ro$o£t's attempts to steal (and
own) the Internet while locking other users out.

> No darn wonder firefox is so security resistent - it cannot do half of the
> stuff it should..  Firefox - conform, dammit!!.  even just placing a
> day/date/month javascript on a page and firefox displays a line lower down
> than IE. does.  Same with the slideshow. even with the whole added script
> just for it, it still displays the slide show window lower down on the
> page than I.E,.  crap firefox... what a hassle..

Sadly, many pages are still designed by inexperienced people who use IE and
design pages for IE. They test it under IE and never bother complying with
standards. This trend is changing though.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com