Re: Novell and Linux

  • Subject: Re: Novell and Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:59:52 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [lqualig@xxxxxxxxx] on Friday 04 November 2005 16:20 \__

> William Poaster wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:43:27 +0000, a broadcast message from the Sinister
>> Midget console, was as follows:
>>
>> > On 2005-11-04, Au79 <au79@xxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
>> >>

>><http://news.com.com/Other+companies+in+Microsofts+crosshairs/2100-1011_3-5927345.html>
>> >
>> >    Novell (Quote, Chart) plans to cut roughly 600 jobs and focus on its
>> >    core businesses, Linux and identity, to drive company growth,
>> >    executives announced Wednesday.
>> >
>> >    The restructuring is expected to save the company more than $110
>> >    million in annual run-rate expenses, officials said, resulting in a
>> >    restructuring charge of $30 million to $50 million in the fourth
>> >    quarter, which ended Monday.
>> >
>> > Wasn't some Windolt trying to make the case that Novelll was dumping
>> > linux when they posted the job cuts?
>>
>> The Larry Qualig/lqualig wintroll in the "Linux PCs: Customer service or
>> lip service?" thread, I believe you mean....
>>
> Learn to read. Better yet, show where I said that "Novell is dumping
> Linux" - I didn't think so.
>
> What I posted was the fact that Novell had a layoff yesterday. And the
> FACT (according to SEC filings) that SuSE revenue declined by 17%
> compared to the prior year.
>
> But hey, don't let FACTS get in the way of your lies. Keep claiming
> that I said "Novell is dumping Linux." Perhaps someone here is stupid
> enough to believe it.

Novell  laid  off a large proporation of their employees as a part of  re-
structuring  process. According to what I read in the news this morning, a
/tighter/  bond with Linux and re-centralisation around Open Source  forms
the very core of that restructuring process. If anything, this reorganisa-
tion  (Microsoft are going through a similar phase by the way) shows  that
Novell  are strengthening their SuSE front more than ever before. It would
be foolish to assume anything else.

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/00A78590A3A229DBCC2570A40021DC61

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
  4:50pm  up 1 day 12:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.10, 0.14