Re: Novell and Linux

  • Subject: Re: Novell and Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 03:33:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [lqualig@xxxxxxxxx] on Friday 04 November 2005 18:00 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [lqualig@xxxxxxxxx] on Friday 04 November 2005 16:20 \__

>><http://news.com.com/Other+companies+in+Microsofts+crosshairs/2100-1011_3-5927345.html>

>> > Learn to read. Better yet, show where I said that "Novell is dumping
>> > Linux" - I didn't think so.
>> >
>> > What I posted was the fact that Novell had a layoff yesterday. And the
>> > FACT (according to SEC filings) that SuSE revenue declined by 17%
>> > compared to the prior year.
>> >
>> > But hey, don't let FACTS get in the way of your lies. Keep claiming
>> > that I said "Novell is dumping Linux." Perhaps someone here is stupid
>> > enough to believe it.
>>
>> Novell  laid  off a large proporation of their employees as a part of  re-
>> structuring  process. According to what I read in the news this morning, a
>> /tighter/  bond with Linux and re-centralisation around Open Source  forms
>> the very core of that restructuring process. If anything, this reorganisa-
>> tion  (Microsoft are going through a similar phase by the way) shows  that
>> Novell  are strengthening their SuSE front more than ever before. It would
>> be foolish to assume anything else.
>>
>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/00A78590A3A229DBCC2570A40021DC61
>>
>> Roy
>

> I agree with you Roy - this was plainly stated in at least 6 of the
> press-releases issued by Novell. (They're all basically the same PR
> that was published in several sources.) And that's why I never refuted
> this statement and that is why I *clearly* didn't say that Novell was
> "Dumping  Linux."
>
> But evidently some people will stoop to any level and lie claiming that
> I did say this. And I doubt the lying cowards have the decency to admit
> they were wrong.

Read this first:

Novell announced changes including SUSE developer jobs cuts this week:

   Contrary to what was expected from recent Novell announcements, Novell
   executives are apparently slicing deeply into the Linux heart of the
   company. Jobs and resources are actually being slashed in several
   areas previously dubbed by Novell management as "key component parts
   of Novell's Linux developments": staffers working on Mono, Hula,
   Evolution and Desktop Strategy are getting the sack.

   SUSE customers around the world will be shocked and puzzled by this
   management decision. If they feel like I do, they'll liken the recent
   Novell moves to the ones we witnessed at Sun Microsystems--a
   management team that doesn't know what direction they want to head and
   changes course every other week.

More:

 http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2005-11-04-018-26-OP-SS-NV

Don't neglect to read this too:

   Kurt Pfeifle, a KDE developer, stated in his Linux today story that,
   "Contrary to what was expected from recent Novell announcements,
   Novell executives are apparently slicing deeply into the Linux heart
   of the company."

   "Nonsense," replied one senior Novell open-source engineer to this
   comment.

   Kevan Barney, Novell's senior public relations manager, said, "The
   Linux teams are largely intact, and the desktops aren't going away.
   Pfeifle went on to write, "staffers working on Mono, Hula, Evolution
   and Desktop Strategy are getting the sack."

   While cuts are being made across the company, Mancusi-Ungaro
   emphasized that "Novell is not pulling the plug on the desktop. We
   feel we lead it today, and we look forward to the next generation of
   the desktop. The desktop is in the core set of Novell open enterprise
   stack of data center, workgroup and desktop, identify and resource
   management."

More: