Re: Sending Files Directly to SD Card (Was: Loading app-Message question)

__/ [AaronJ] on Monday 07 November 2005 15:57 \__

>>__/ [Jim Anderson] on Monday 07 November 2005 03:07 \__
>
>>> Apps on the card are copied to RAM to run.
>>
>>Is there no way of transferring them directly (or indirectly yet transpar-
>>ently) to the SD card?
>
> If your question is can you run the *apps* directly from the card, without
> having the op system first copy them to memory to run, probably not.
> Anymore than you can run a PC program directly from a hard drive. But many
> apps will allow you to leave the *data* on the card to be used from there.
> My map data (some are 15MB) will run from the card, but it really slooows
> searching and drawing down, so if I'm in a particular area I usually just
> put that map in RAM. I try to keep my Z72's RAM clear for just such
> purposes.

I have had similar issues with certain applications. For instance, my
dictionary requires all data to be in RAM and that alone consumes 5 MB.

> BTW that's where the new NVFS models really fall down (late Tungs thru the
> LifeDrive). Though they have plenty of advertised storage, it is all slooow
> flash or hard drive. They only actually have around 10MB of fast working
> RAM (cache) so they choke on my big maps. One step forward, many back....
> ;)

Well, I mind not space/volume. I think I would have appreciated higher screen
resolution (long overdue), multi-tasking and PIM applications that exploit
these two factors. It has been over 3 years since I started using a Palm and
it seems almost as if build-in PIM has never evolved.

> If you mean how to transfer the apps already in memory so they will (appear
> to) run from the card, you can just use a file manager (Filez, FileProg)
> and move them to Palm\Launcher on the card. Then the built in Palm launcher
> will see and (maybe) run them.

Yes, I do that already (with FileZ) and my question was really answered
below. (thanks for that regardless)

>>When I had Real Player installed on a Windows PC, I
>>could use their utility to send songs to the SD card, even when the volume
>>exceeded  what was available in RAM.
>
> That's because they were transferred in chunks, same as when they are
> played.

Interesting. I guess it was predictable. I just wondered if there is a
desktop-side application (for Linux) that would enable me to send files to
the SD card directly (well, via RAM, in chunks) rather than doing all the
'chunking' myself. This involved repeatedly moving files from RAM to the SD
card, which is impractical if you handle hundreds of megabytes. Having just
glanced at KPilot again, it doesn't give the necessary option...

No luck here either

roy@BAINE:~> apropos pilot
pilot-link (7)       - a suite of tools for communicating with Palm handheld
devices, such as those made from Palm, Handspring, Handera, TRGPro, Sony or
other Palm Compatible Handheld PDA device
pilot-xfer (1)       - backup, sync, and restore databases from a Palm
handheld device, such as those made from Palm, Handspring, Handera, TRGPro,
Sony or other Palm Compatible Handheld PDA device

Cheers,