Re: Linux and Palm SD Cards

__/ [Roy Schestowitz] on Tuesday 08 November 2005 05:26 \__

> __/ [AaronJ] on Monday 07 November 2005 15:57 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>__/ [Jim Anderson] on Monday 07 November 2005 03:07 \__

>>>Is there no way of transferring them directly (or indirectly yet transpar-
>>>ently) to the SD card?
>>
>> If your question is can you run the *apps* directly from the card, without
>> having the op system first copy them to memory to run, probably not.
>> Anymore than you can run a PC program directly from a hard drive. But many
>> apps will allow you to leave the *data* on the card to be used from there.
>> My map data (some are 15MB) will run from the card, but it really slooows
>> searching and drawing down, so if I'm in a particular area I usually just
>> put that map in RAM. I try to keep my Z72's RAM clear for just such
>> purposes.
>

> I have had similar issues with certain applications. For instance, my
> dictionary requires all data to be in RAM and that alone consumes 5 MB.
>

>> BTW that's where the new NVFS models really fall down (late Tungs thru the
>> LifeDrive). Though they have plenty of advertised storage, it is all
>> slooow flash or hard drive. They only actually have around 10MB of fast
>> working RAM (cache) so they choke on my big maps. One step forward, many
>> back.... ;)
>

> Well, I mind not space/volume. I think I would have appreciated higher
> screen resolution (long overdue), multi-tasking and PIM applications that
> exploit these two factors. It has been over 3 years since I started using a
> Palm and it seems almost as if build-in PIM has never evolved.
>

>> If you mean how to transfer the apps already in memory so they will
>> (appear to) run from the card, you can just use a file manager (Filez,
>> FileProg) and move them to Palm\Launcher on the card. Then the built in
>> Palm launcher will see and (maybe) run them.
>

> Yes, I do that already (with FileZ) and my question was really answered
> below. (thanks for that regardless)
>

>>>When I had Real Player installed on a Windows PC, I
>>>could use their utility to send songs to the SD card, even when the volume
>>>exceeded  what was available in RAM.
>>
>> That's because they were transferred in chunks, same as when they are
>> played.
>

> Interesting. I guess it was predictable. I just wondered if there is a
> desktop-side application (for Linux) that would enable me to send files to
> the SD card directly (well, via RAM, in chunks) rather than doing all the
> 'chunking' myself. This involved repeatedly moving files from RAM to the SD
> card, which is impractical if you handle hundreds of megabytes. Having just
> glanced at KPilot again, it doesn't give the necessary option...
>
> No luck here either
>
> roy@BAINE:~> apropos pilot
> pilot-link (7)       - a suite of tools for communicating with Palm
> handheld devices, such as those made from Palm, Handspring, Handera,
> TRGPro, Sony or other Palm Compatible Handheld PDA device
> [...]

I guess I should retract any question that I may have had. According to:

http://www.pilot-link.org/node/169

The latest version of pilot-xfer, which I do not had installed, includes
transfers to external storage as an option, e.g.:

pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -i File.prc -D /Palm/Launcher

...just in case someone stubles upon this in the archives. This is quite
recent in fact:

<quote>
  Submitted by desrod on Sat, 06/18/2005 - 14:17.

  pilot-xfer, the main Swiss Army tool in pilot-link, can do
  exactly that? assuming you have the latest released version
  (which was just released a few days ago, 0.12.0-pre4)
</quote>