Re: Google - country specific results

  • Subject: Re: Google - country specific results
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:53:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [neilr] on Tuesday 08 November 2005 10:04 \__

> Morning folks,
>
> I seem to recall a discussion in here a while ago regarding whether Google
> (search engines in general) determine the relevance of a website locality
> based on the physical location of the hosting server, but don't recal what
> the conclusion was - if any.
>
> I notice with a UK company website, their entry appears at number one in
> Google when entering their company name as the search string and using
> "Search: the web" option.  However if the option "Search: pages from the
> UK" is selected, the website is not included in the results at all.
>
> Situation is that the company is UK based - but - the website resides on a
> USA located server. Is it likely that this may be the reason for not
> appearing localised to the UK?

Questions about Goo-gal fit better in alt.internet.search-engines where you
might get more useful replies and awaken a long debate.

If I recall correctly, the suffix of an address plays a major role and there
are many other factors that could have impact, e.g. source of inbound links,
inclusion in directories (e.g. Google Directory, DMOZ), registrant
information and maybe meta data although I doubt it.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I blame God for making me an atheist"
 11:50am  up 5 days  7:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.33, 0.37, 0.35