Re: Signing posts to comp.os.linux.misc

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [Technomage Hawke] on Tuesday 08 November 2005 16:01 \__
>

>>Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>>

>>>Normally, I would not bother signing my posts to UseNet newsgroups.
>>>
>>>Someone proposed signing so that crackpots could not impersonate serious
>>>posters. So I considered doing that.
>>>
>>>Then another poster got mad and demanded that posters sign inline.
>>>I happen to use enigmail with ThunderBird to read and post to these
>>>newsgroups. I made a signed post to nj.test and it does the signing
>>>inline.
>>>
>>>But the mad poster also wanted X-header to tell key-id, etc., and I do not
>>>know how to make enigmail do that.
>>>
>>>How do I make enigmail accept an X-header. It is very easy in mutt.
>

> Funny that you mention it because I got my ID and PGP URL in the X-header and
> I have no clue how. I use Enigmail with Thunderbird 1.x and I have just
> spent 10 minutes in vain trying to find the appropriate input fields. I am
> also led to believe there is a design bug. I'm sure I had more options in
> the past and Enigmail is far from intuitive. In fact, it's rather fragmented
> and confusing.
>

>>well,
>>key signing is generally not a bad idea. however, having all those public
>>keys available so that everyone knows who everyone else is, thats a little
>>more complicated.....
>

> ...I think it's utterly unnecessary too... *hides sig*
>

>>there is also the unfortunate consequence that not everyone that posts here
>>can cryptographically sign their messages (insufficient client
>>capability)..
>>
>>Still, if it were up to me, I'd rather sign than not (I am going to have to
>>set that up with this client in any case)
>>
>>so? how we going to pass around pub keys? post in here or via a
>>standardized keyserver?
>>
>>TMH
>

> I haven't seen cryptographically used for a genuine purpose in UseNet, yet.
> Like a telephone number to E-commerce sites... it barely ever get used, but
> still it is required.
>
> Roy

Well, here is one signed by enigmail on top of ThunderBird.

You should be able to find my public key on various public keyservers. Many
of them seem to be way out of date. I do not know a good way to check which
ones are up to date or not except by downloading my key all over again, and
even that does not help because different keyservers show the same key
differently.

- --
 ^^-^^ 14:05:00 up 30 days, 13:28, 5 users, load average: 4.35, 4.35, 4.22