Re: jagger ibls and obls?

__/ [Borek] on Tuesday 29 November 2005 16:50 \__

> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:20:03 +0100, mark | r <trooperbill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> still reading jagger news online.. theres some mass speculation that
>> googles
>> detecting display nones in CSS files and discounting the text therein..
>
> Even if so, they gather css information not through googlebot. I have
> just checked 10 months of logs - googlebot have never fetched any css
> file from my site.

I  read  a few days ago that Google are unlikely to analyse  CSS  directly
(never  assume this won't change in the future), just as they index images
using separate crawler that get employed.

Google will nonetheless be able to 'see' CSS if it is embedded in the HTML
file  rather  than in auxiliary files. I was also made aware of  the  fact
that <font color="#eeeeee">, for example, atop white background can be de-
tected  and interpereted as hidden text. Whether it's a semi-automatic ap-
proach  involving  human reviewers, I am not too sure. It seems like  they
can afford manual labour these days. They sure can.

Having  mentioned colour tricks, I am not sure to what degree this can  be
automated.  Pruning  out the obvious is easy, but your  average  Webmaster
will adopt some streetsmarts. White background can be injected using a 1X1
plain  white  image  (a white pixel tiled), which is  reminiscent  of  the
transparent pixel used for spying.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?
  6:20am  up   3:47,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.07, 0.09