Re: Database options to lower bandwidth

  • Subject: Re: Database options to lower bandwidth
  • From: John Bokma <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 28 Nov 2005 21:31:37 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster

> The issue here is not bandwidth. If so much bandwidth if devoured in
> the process of fetching data (e.g. scanning gigantic text files),

There is no way how this can use up bandwidth except when you send a "fake
header" to keep the connection alive (which uses not that much bandwidth).

> you
> might sooner or later suffer from latency in page delivery. I suggest
> a makeover that involves MySQL, or maybe better -- PostgreSQL.

Based on what? I would say: if you understand how the files work, and
there is little overhead, keep with this system. Switch to a DB if you
have time to learn most ins and outs.

> To make the transition less painful, is there any simple way of
> splitting these text files? Relational databases are more elegant, but
> they are not a must.

Yup.

--
John                       Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/