Re: Windows Update breaks the system!

__/ [Jafar As-Sadiq Calley] on Sunday 16 October 2005 06:51 \__

> We have had a report of problems with MS05-051.  Here is what we have
> received.  If anyone else is experiencing problems, please let us know.
>
> A number of people have reported weird problems with one of the MS patches
> released yesterday, specifically MS05-051 Vulnerabilities in MSDTC and
> COM+ Could Allow Remote Code Execution (902400).
>
> Symptoms include, but are not limited to:
>
> - Inability to visit Windows Update
> - Inablility to use the Search tool off the Start Menu
> - blank screen (no icons) upon login
> - Symantec LiveUpdate stops working
> - SpySweeper stops working
> - problems with Office apps
> - VirtualPC becomes extremely sluggish
>
> Lee said he had spoken to a Microsoft engineer about this.  From what he
> could tell:
>
> "this issue is only affecting people with very specific NTFS permissions.
> If the C:WinntRegistration folder is locked down and cannot be written to
> by COM+ you will have errors similar to those listed in your alert. All of
> those tasks use COM+ in one way or another."
>
> So, it appears that Microsoft is blaming others as usual. Their response
> to this problem?
>
> "This is not a "known issue" or "problem" with the patch, but a
> "complexity with the increased security provided by the patch when running
> on systems where settings have been incorrectly changed from the default
> settings".'"
>
> I see, so changing system settings to make the machine more secure is
> "incorrect?"
> Windows sucks plain and simple.

I have some callers who are unable to work out their merging connection
issues. After a while it turns out that they recently updated Windows. It's
great, ain't it?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
  8:35am  up 51 days 20:49,  6 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.45, 0.54