Re: Windows Update Breaks Connection

__/ [William Poaster] on Sunday 16 October 2005 11:19 \__

> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:36:15 +0100, a broadcast message from the Roy
> Schestowitz console, was as follows:
>
>> __/ [Jafar As-Sadiq Calley] on Sunday 16 October 2005 06:51 \__
>>
>>> We have had a report of problems with MS05-051.  Here is what we have
>>> received.  If anyone else is experiencing problems, please let us know.
>>>
>>> A number of people have reported weird problems with one of the MS
>>> patches released yesterday, specifically MS05-051 Vulnerabilities in
>>> MSDTC and COM+ Could Allow Remote Code Execution (902400).
>>>
>>> Symptoms include, but are not limited to:
>>>
>>> - Inability to visit Windows Update
>>> - Inablility to use the Search tool off the Start Menu - blank screen
>>> (no icons) upon login
>>> - Symantec LiveUpdate stops working
>>> - SpySweeper stops working
>>> - problems with Office apps
>>> - VirtualPC becomes extremely sluggish
>>>
>>> Lee said he had spoken to a Microsoft engineer about this.  From what he
>>> could tell:
>>>
>>> "this issue is only affecting people with very specific NTFS
>>> permissions. If the C:WinntRegistration folder is locked down and cannot
>>> be written to by COM+ you will have errors similar to those listed in
>>> your alert. All of those tasks use COM+ in one way or another."
>>>
>>> So, it appears that Microsoft is blaming others as usual. Their response
>>> to this problem?
>>>
>>> "This is not a "known issue" or "problem" with the patch, but a
>>> "complexity with the increased security provided by the patch when
>>> running on systems where settings have been incorrectly changed from the
>>> default settings".'"
>>>
>>> I see, so changing system settings to make the machine more secure is
>>> "incorrect?"
>>> Windows sucks plain and simple.
>>
>> I have some callers who are unable to work out their merging connection
>> issues. After a while it turns out that they recently updated Windows.
>> It's great, ain't it?
>
> Obviously they're preparing people for what happens when Fista crawls out
> of the woodwork.

Don't flatter Fiesta. It's more like the preparation of an hamburger, not a
wooden merchandise.

I also forgot to mention that my attitude/reply in the above scenario would
have gone along the lines of: no connection after Windows Update? Your O/S
has reached a moribid and misunderstood state. Back up your data,
re-install and re-patch.

Realistically, I must be more comforting than that with the staff (my main
job). As for students with virus issues (secondary job), the response would
usually be re-install, or even better, migrate to a better operating
system.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
  2:00pm  up 52 days  2:14,  5 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.47, 0.47