Re: Reporting zombies?

__/ [John Bokma] on Monday 05 September 2005 04:51 \__

>> __/ [John Bokma] on Saturday 03 September 2005 23:48 \__

>>> I enhanced my blog log capabilities, and everything that gets through
>>> is reported to ISP(s) (I might automate that step).
>>>
>>> One way to get zombies down (I am convinced that this is zombie work)
>>> is to make ISPs aware that this /is/ happening.
>>
>> System admin likes doughnut. System admin rarely cares about spam.
>> Many of the IP addresses that I checked (going almost a year back when
>> I still bothered) are located in faraway places and there are so many
>> of them. Their only commonality is that they point to the same Web
>> sites.
>
> I report to the ISP of the poster, not of the website. The recent websites
> I saw didn't even exist. So it's probably a test run.
>
>> Trying to fight the comment spammers is like squashing a single
>> mosquito while sitting by a swamp on a sunny day. It takes a communal
>> effort or an international crackdown. Most people are either
>> indifferent or lazy.
>
> ISP are probably not aware yet that trojans are used to do comment spam as
> well. The one I reported to takes the problem very serious.

I wish comment spam was simple to fight. In some cases, too many ISP's can
be involved. Those that are plagued with spam probably get plagued by
complaints too, hence they neglect to respond.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
  2:40pm  up 13 days  0:00,  3 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.14, 0.04