Re: Nice free image editor

Roy Schestowitz wrote

> __/ [Charles Sweeney] on Tuesday 13 September 2005 21:41 \__
>

>> This might be familiar to some, but I only came across it today.
>>
>> http://www.xnview.com/
>>
>> It supports 400 image types, and even plays movie clips.  Free for
>> personal
>> use.  Only 26 E to buy for commercial use.
>
> Don't forget to consider The GIMP, which is absolutely free and
> admirably stable. Available for *nix/Mac/Windows.
>
> If 'free Photoshop' is what you are after, go for GIMPShop, which is a
> fork of The GIMP that becomes a Photoshop clone.
>
> http://www.gimpshop.net/
>      (see screenshots)
>
> Also to consider: Inkspace, which is in earlier stages of development,
> but nonethess looks highly promising:
>
> http://www.inkscape.org/
>      (see screenshots)
>
> If you ask me, these are the imagine manipulation tools of the future.
> With so much powerful software around, which also relies on the GPL
> (hence re-use), commercial software is said to be quietly dying.

Thanks Roy.  I wasn't looking, just came across it and nabbed it.

I checked out The GIMP a couple/few years ago, but it was a bit involved
for my needs (I usually just resize, crop and compress).

Your write-up sounds good.  I've made a mental note to revisit it!

--
Charles Sweeney
http://CharlesSweeney.com