Re: nx9000 - Radeon IGP 340M - dual monitors

__/ [ts86] on Saturday 17 September 2005 21:02 \__

> Hi,
> I've got a HP nx9000 laptop with ATI Radeon IGP 340M graphics card.
> Current OS is Windows 2000.

I have Radeon as well, currently with 2 heads and 2 Linux partitions, but
used to be dual-boot Windows 2000/SuSE Linux. The card comes with software
that is compatible with Windows 2000. Have a look at the taskbar in Windows
2000. You have a great deal of flexibility.

> If I plug an external monitor into the back I can get dual-monitors
> setup - spanned desktop.

Why not...?

> But it's treated as one big desktop, rather
> than seperate monitors. E.g. dialog boxes pop-up half-half on laptop
> screen and external screen.

Isn't that what you want? Would you prefer two identical pictures on both
displays? You cannot fragment that display into two, managing two separate
desktop environments.

> Is this issue because I'm running Windows 2000 and not Windows XP?
> I've known this similar issue dual-port Geforce cards on desktop systems.

I am still failing to grasp what you are trying to achieve. I don't think
that XP/2000 should lead to inconsistencies. The card's drivers are
compatible with both and are probably identical in both cases.

> I can upgrade, but only want to do it if it will fix this issue (too
> much time/hassle otherwise).
>

> TIA.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
  2:20pm  up 24 days  2:34,  3 users,  load average: 1.91, 0.64, 0.50