Re: Opera made free

__/ [Mikkel Moldrup-Lakjer] on Tuesday 20 September 2005 23:19 \__

> Mikkel Moldrup-Lakjer wrote:
>> Opera has released a lincense free download of their browser in the
>> version without ads.
>>
>> Their market strategy is explained here:
>> http://www.newsweb.no/index.asp?melding_ID=113673

I think I'll have it installed later today. I wasn't going to at first, but
all the recent talk about it has got my hyped! *smile*

I am thinking about all these 'wise guys' who thought they got a great deal
on Opera's 10th birthday.

>> They talk about a contract with Google. It seems to mean that they take
>> a share of the AdSense revenue created from Google searches made with
>> Opera? I am not sure I understand this correctly.

I read yesterday that Opera's revenue from licences only stands atr 25% of
their total revenue.

The agreements are all rather fuzzy and the folk at Googlewatch/Scroogle
(Tor/Torr?) have a take on it, too.

> I asked in a Danish news group where a user suggested the deal Opera got
> was similar to the Mozilla Firefox deal:
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39189475,00.htm
> (Mozilla being paid for keeping Google as the default browser in Firefox)
>
> Sounds probable.
>
> Mikkel

It seems like the love affarit between the car and the pertol station.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
  9:20am  up 26 days 21:34,  3 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.29, 0.63