Re: clie to palm data import

  • Subject: Re: clie to palm data import
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 04:55:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [jmjav] on Tuesday 20 September 2005 19:02 \__

> Roy,
>
> Thanks so very much for your help, and I appreciate your time.  As I
> alluded to earlier, I reinstalled the Sony Palm Desktop software and
> all my original data was there, so nothing was lost.  (Talk about pain
> and anxiety while I couldn't access it...!)  I then exported it to
> various file structures, such as a .csv for my contacts, and a .dba for
> my calendar file, so I'm in good shape as far as data security is
> concerned.

Exactly. Think of your computer as just a host and software as a tool. It is
your data that you must always care for. Data is 'duplicatable' and storage
is cheap so there is never a (good) reason to "let it slide".

I suggest that you occasionally make copies of your profile directory and
put it on a separate (remote) computer. It would make you feel better. It
would also prevent "anxiety and pain".

> What I'm sure I could do is to uninstall the Sony Palm Desktop, and
> then install the Palm Tungsten desktop software (which is ESSENTIALLY
> the SAME program), and then import these files, but what I have to
> think would be easier (and I would ultimately like to do and I think
> should be possible) would be just to teach the software to recognize
> the new handheld and sync to it.

I am not too sure whether you ever needed to uninstall and re-install.
Perhaps Technical Support took the "easy path". Either way, I wonder if you
can have both versions of Palm Desktop on the same computer. If not, at
least consider installing one on Computer1 and the other on Computer2. You
would then be somewhat immune to data losses.

I still think that calendaring formats and standards are quite 'immature'. I
dread the day when I will (if ever) have to migrate personal data from one
data convention to another. It's one of these things that can have you
'disappear', growing stubble in your basement for a week, wrestling to get
back on track with your data. I have carried my data for over 3 years and
they will soon move to Linux. I hope the transition will be smooth.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: penguins are the greatest birds
  4:45am  up 26 days 16:59,  3 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.28, 0.36