Re: [News] Vista Hardware Perils

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Monday 03 April 2006 10:33 \__
>
>> On 2006-04-03, Handover Phist <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
>> something concerning:
>>> Roy Culley :

>>> There's an interesting thought. From a gaming website that I run (my
>>> stats arent counted or there would be MUCH more Linux traffic) over
>>> the course of a single day (yes, it very new and has little traffic):
>>>
>>>   Windows XP 229     78.97%
>>>   Windows 2000  34   11.72%
>>>   MacOS X    11      3.79%
>>>   Linux i686 6       2.07%
>>>   Windows 98 6       2.07%
>>>   Windows 2003       2       0.69%
>>>   Windows ME 2       0.69%

These are interesting, but the absolute totals are probably not large
enough to form a useful picture.  Also, the nature of the site might
tend to encourage one type of user more than another.  Personally,
although I still have some gaming interests, my kids are interested in
gaming, and I tend to look at Linux-centric gaming sites.  I suspect
that if you looked at happy penguin you'd see a very different (but not
necessarily more meaningful) picture.  Samething would apply to a
distro's site - how useful would Debian's stats be?

Larger absolute numbers from general purpose sites might be more use?

>>> So there we have it, a market segment (gamers) that prefer Windows over
>>> Linux to a huge degree. I would love to see Slashdot browser stats.
>

> FWIW, here are last month's stats from my main site. The stats exclude robots
> and crawlers, which sum up to similar figures:
>
>         Windows 573642  71.3 %
>         Unknown 98424   12.2 %
>         Linux   85656   10.6 %
>         Macintosh       42126   5.2 %
>         Unknown Unix system     1864    0.2 %
>         FreeBSD 1009    0.1 %
>         Sun Solaris     519     0 %
>         NetBSD  202     0 %
>         OS/2    163     0 %
>         OpenBSD 55      0 %
>         Others  122     0 %

These numbers are large enough to give a good picture for the top 4, but
not enough after that.  You'd want a /really/ big set of stats to get
the rest, I think.  perhaps google ;-)

> The numbers correspond to hits. bear in mind that unknowns are most likely
> Linuxes. Windows /does/ know how to identify itself uniformly.
>

>>> I dont think looking at those stats shows a fair representation since
>>> it's a Windows-centric site. So how would we go about gather a fair
>>> representation? Suggestions? I did have a poll on the site asking if
>>> people wanted to see what was offered for games on linux recently and
>>> there was a %100 yes reply from the users, but they generally know I've
>>> been using Linux for ages and am a reliable source for this sort of
>>> information, so is that a fair representation? I dont think browser
>>> stats are a good approach and I cant think of a good one off the top of
>>> my head.
>>
>> Take a poll and ask them what /they/ use. Allow multiple selections.
>

> A poll would be no good. The selection of the sites is imporatnt too. Just as
> Microsoft selected 400 businesses which they claim preferred moving from
> UNIX to Windows rather than Linux, they could intervene with Web-based
> statistics. I wouldn't trust a word that comes from studies as long as money
> can be exchanged under the table and a certain company has plenty of FUD
> money to spare, as well as a motive.

Quite.

>> Still not perfectly accurate, but better than counting user agent
>> strings. It would certainly be _more_ accurate if they're allowed to
>> show they use more than one thing.
>

> Frankly, my user-agent string does not include "Linux". I spoof it. Many
> others do the same, knowingly or unknowingly.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

Flirting is the gentle art of making a man feel pleased with himself.
		-- Helen Rowland