Re: Why are Palm fonts so ugly?

  • Subject: Re: Why are Palm fonts so ugly?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:14:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [ Chris McMahan ] on Friday 28 April 2006 13:36 \__

> "dave" <davegb2@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> I have a T/E with OS5. The standard font is okay but all the others are
>> just plain ugly! I sometimes need to use a smaller font so more info
>> can fit on the screen. Is there any way to change the fonts or make
>> them look nicer? Thanks.
>> dave
>>
> I would recommend a program called Fonts4OS5. I've been using it on my
> T3 for a couple of years now.
>
> It's shareware ($12.90 USD). Here's a link to the author's page:
>
> http://www.lubak.net/

Fonts are not a crucial factor as long as they are legible, but if you are
picky, various packages like Doc2Go come with a selection of fonts which you
might prefer working with. They do not affect the fonts of the general O/S
and UI though.

What bothers me the most is the relatively large font size in basic, built-in
Palm PIM. I don't find font size to be a valid reason for purchasing an
alternative such as Agendus, only so that the resolution of the screen is
better exploited. I hope the upcoming Linux-based O/S compensates and
resolves such deficiencies which cling to past habits and slow
development/rigour. Backward compatibility is not an obstacle here.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  2:10pm  up  21:15,  13 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.47, 0.45