Re: [News] Linux Offers (At Least) 7 Methods for Grabbing Screenshots

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4769038.110cOKUHly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 23:08 \__

"Jim" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

What I need for a current project is video grabbing. Only solution I've managed to find is vnc2swf (or something). If it's my only option (and I've heard that there aren't many), then I guessthat's what I'll be using...

There's a couple of tools for this for Windows.

Commercial:
http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp?CMP=KgoogleCStm
http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashBack.aspx
http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/

Freeware:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx
http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

Open Source:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/demostudio
http://www.camstudio.org/

I don't know:
http://www.qarbon.com/
http://www.turbodemo.com/eng/index.htm
http://www.wincam.net/
http://www.demo-builder.com/

Thanks for the comprehensive list of links. I ought to mention, however, that
third-party solutions are often prone to breakage between releases of the
O/S upon which they are built.

Right, but it's either third party or first party, and if you're squeamish about running Microsoft products...

That said, I've had good experiences with MS Windows Media Encoder. The only issue is that it'll only encode to its proprietary WMV file format. I was hesitant to use it because of that at first, but I soon discovered they were playable on Macs, and none of the people who were interested in watching my videos were running Linux, so I went with WME for a while. Nowadays, I prefer XViD, an open source codec.

I might be completely wrong here, but doesn't Adobe have fairly good relations with the Linux community? Adobe produces "captivate", one of the tools I listed above. I've never tried it though. And isn't almost every Linux application a "third party" solution?

They also they need to be (re-)installed
repeatedly, they sometimes integrate badly, and people will not know about
them or bother with them unless everything is already there (the Microsoft
approach for killing Netscape).

I don't think this is true for computer enthusiasts (who are willing to go out of their way to try the latest and greatest software). And I think Videograbbing is one of those activities that typically only a computer enthusiast would do.

[...]

Assuming you want to capture a Linux screen, you could sit at a Windows
machine, VNC into your Linux machine, and start recording.

It beats the purpose. That is the approach one guy, who once advertised (posted) some tutorials to COLA, is taking:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=linux+tutorial

If Jim is right that vnc2swf is the only solution that runs in a purely Linux environment, and if vnc2swf doesn't work out for him, he might not have much other choices. I suppose he could buy some dedicated hardware to perform the task, or maybe buy a Mac and install software on there, and VNC into Linux.

- Oliver