Re: What Microsoft has that Linux doesn't

__/ [ Tim Smith ] on Saturday 12 August 2006 17:52 \__

> In article <1364163.z3l8CfCdVN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> How many vendors do you know who sell machines with Linux preinstalled? I
>> know a few that give you a blank hard-drive and some Linux CD's. This
>> still
>
> So, why aren't there more vendors selling pre-installed Linux?  Yes, I know
> the usual excuse: Microsoft won't let them.
>
> Well, there's an easy way around that.  Don't sell Windows machines.  Just
> sell machines with Linux.  Problem solved.
>
> You'd think that with the vast number of people running Linux desktops
> (according to some in this group, anyway), there would be enough of a
> market for this to justify someone putting their money where their mouth is
> and
> setting up such a shop.  The small computer shop business is very
> competitive, so any edge, such as being the only non-Windows shop in an
> area, would be very valuable.
>
> Look how well Apple is doing with their non-Windows stores, so there
> definitely is a good market out there for non-Windows machines.

Your points are valid, but perhaps you overlooked the large number of vendors
that preinstall Linux:

http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/23168/

The computer that I use at this very moment came with Linux installed*.

Roy

*Well, pre-tested SESE CD's were attached, to be precise. It is assumed that
the user may favour a different flavour. Mandrake and Ubuntu worked fine as
well. Luckily, I have experience with SUSE, so the vendor's choice was a
home run.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
Tasks: 135 total,   2 running, 131 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie